Yaesu

[Yaesu] Comments on FT-8500 Requested

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Comments on FT-8500 Requested
From: patrickl@wco.com (Patrick)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 18:01:02 -0700

KF0FX wrote:

> I'm considering the purchase of an FT-8500.  Any comments positive or negative
> about the radio?

Chris:

As you know, Yaesu is closing out the 8500 and the prices have plunged. I
decided
to buy one not because of it's many features but simply based on the present
cost.
I even decided to go all the way and buy the Control mic, or as some call it,
"Mr.
Potato Head". It's an excellent radio and although it took some time to get use
the mic, once I did I just love it.

The only thing I don't like about it is the cooling system. Fans in my opinion
are
just something waiting around to break on a mobile radio. I believe in BIG heat
sinks, but of course you get weight with them.

The 8500 is as good or better than any other mobile on the market and the price
is
right.

Pat AC6YD