Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT1000 going wokie

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000 going wokie
From: Frank Gilmore <klycotek01@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:57:05 -0500
I just read todays two messages pertaining to the sick FT1000 Field.  I
too have a Field that I
loaded with Inrad filters for CW and Digital.  Incredible xcvr.  So can
feel for someone who
has found theirs suddenly having hiccups.

I agree with the S/N ratio measurement being a good test to perform, but
only the well
equipped bench is going to have what you need.  I spent over fifty years
doing factory
warrenty work on the major ham brands as well as selling the stuff. My
beginning strategy
to this problem is rather old fashioned but it is a starting point. Let
me say first that the
frequency shift problem really has me scratching my head.  Need to get
my manuals out
dig some.

But the first thing I would do is be absolutely sure your ANT in path is
correct.  Starting on
a 'dead' frequency begin testing your coax in on Ant 1 and Ant 2 and RX
only.  If you do have
an external signal source such as a small rig on a dummy load turn it on
as a reference point
at low power keydown.  Note the measurements if they vary from the first
three tests.  For
now we are just making sure the signal path is solid.  If there is a
variance then that is a good
indicator the problem could be isolated to the complex input RF
circuitry....which is much better than lower down the food chain. If the
signal does not vary, attempt to tune the antenna tuner with a small
amount of RF from the xmitr.  Be sure ant input is on connector selected.

If perchan you do hear increased noise/signals from your RF source of
low power that
will tell you the tuner is working at least to some extent.  If it goes
OK try it on other bands
with the external source.  If the antenna tuning produces some effect
that is a good sign, but if it does not then all is not well in the
world.  Japanese and some US xcvrs have a very weak link in the internal
autotuner hardware.  I have replaced blown tuners in several TS440s over
the years from a nearby lightning hit at someones station.  They are
very light
grade in the choice of relays, coils, etc.  a good large external tuner
is not as fast of course but wll take lots of lightning.

Am not clear if you have a passband adaptor on your 1000 such as the
ones sold by Inrad.
That could be another source of signal loss.  I have a new one here I
have never installed
but know they have a good reputation.  I must say components look a
little light duty.  But am biased because I am from the age of Collins
KWS-1s, 30S1s, etc.

At this point my next suspect would be the antenna switching relays from
XMIT to RCV.  Lightning in my own shack several times killed the
contacts on the relays in a couple of Drake lines and TS440.  I don't
recall what the 1000 uses as far as ruggedness.  It is
possible they use solid state switching and/or larger reed relays.

I hope I haven't sent you to chasing your tail in circles.  hi.  My mind
keeps locking on your
statement that two or three menu settings brought it life but only those
settings  Please let
me knoww what those were.

Last comment.  You mentioned possiblity of CPU problems.  That is an
accurate statement.
I bought a new TS940SAT in the late 80s what was a great rig....if you
coud keep CPUs in
it.  I sent it to Kenwood on the w coast twice for replacements under
warrenty.  Due to a
death in my family I had to raise money so traded it to a broadcast
engineer.  Since then he
desn't tell me how many moe cpu trips it has made to Kenwood.  I know
from hamfests and
an old Kenwood net that this turned out to be a very common problem.
Just as the bad PC
boards, failed pushbutton panel switches etc etc etc.

I believe this came through on the Yaesu contesting group.  You might
want to share your
experiences on the FT-1000 group covers all the 1000 series from oldest
to latest

73,

Frank Gilmore  K0JPJ  ex-W5PVX
Retired Lawman, business man, and university teacher among other parts
of life.