Yaesu

Re: [Yaesu] FT-101 Available

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT-101 Available
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:51:13 -0400
On 10/24/2012 8:13 AM, Eddy Swynar wrote:
Hi Guys,

In case any Canadian subscribers are interested, I stumbled upon this "bargoon"
just a few minutes ago:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Ham-Radio-W0QQAdIdZ425199296

Not a bad price, really!

I recall the FT-101 was my "dream rig" early in my Ham career. The host of our Club
Field Day site had just purchased one back in the day, and this newbie was really & truly
impressed with the rig's capabilities & flexibility.

NOTE: I have NO pecuniary interest in this sale whatsoever---I offer it merely
as a potential favour to other Yaesu aficiandos.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

I had a 101B when they were new (around late 60's or early 70's..."I think"). Never saw a straight 101. It worked well and the only complaint was an overly generous solder joint in the Jones connector used for power. The side that was chassis mount had a large ball of solder that if the connector were pushed sideways would touch the chassis. The AC plug was not polarized. When I went out to rearrange the radials under the 40M vertical in the spring (pull the ones straight that had come loose) I had one grab me when I knelt down on the wet grass. Fortunately I fell over backwards and when my knees broke contact with the grass I could move and threw the wire. Starting at the ground rod and reaching out as far as I could, my Simpson 250 measured over 90 volts, yet the rig was attached to a ground rod about 60-70 feet the other side of the service ground.

Other than that I liked that little rig. Finals may be getting hard to find. I think they were 6JS6 sweep tubes which were cheap and plentiful back then.

I've been looking for one state side to recreate some of my old stations.

73

Roger (K8RI)