Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT-650 Key Clicks

To: <Yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-650 Key Clicks
From: "N3XX" <n3xx@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:32:43 -0400
Hi to all,

I have a recently acquired FT-650, and have been very happy with it until
someone pointed out to me that it generates pretty bad key clicks.

I have tested on all three bands, 12-10-6 Mtrs. and had the same result.
Transmitting 100 watts out on the antennas I have for all three bands, and
receiving on another receiver with no antenna connected I receive a little
over S9 signal when tuned to the transmit freq.
When tuning the test receiver away from the xmit frequency, I quickly lose
the CW tone, but clicks continue as I tune farther away.
At about 4 khz above or below the xmit freq., I'm still receiving the clicks
at S1 on the receiver s-meter.
Tuning the receiver farther away from the xmit frequency, I get no s-meter
reading, but clicks are still audible until I get to about 12 khz above or
below the xmit freq.

Any FT-650 owners on the list who have had the same problem, and know of a
fix?  I have found info about key click fixes on the FT-1000's and MP's, but
nothing so far for the FT-650.

Sure would appreciate any help from someone who has already found the fix
for this problem.

Thanks & 73,
Tim - N3XX