Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT 920 VFO shaft issues

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] FT 920 VFO shaft issues
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 09:02:41 -0600
A number if years ago, the main VFO shaft started binding up on my 920.  I
wrote up a quick repair tutorial for this list and was contacted for more
detail by several people who had the same problem.

The repair I did certainly kept the radio working, but the resultant play
in the shaft always annoyed me.  Fast forward 7-8 years and it seems there
are now a lot of FT920's being broken down and sold for parts on Ebay.

Looking at the service manual, you'll see the optical encoder assembly for
both A & B VFO's are the same part number.  Thinking about my 920, I
realized the B VFO really never got used much.  So, on a hunch, I
purchased, for a very reasonable price, a used VFO B optical encoder
assembly and swapped it into the radio, only in the VFO A position.   The
results were as I'd hoped.  I now have a perfectly working, factory smooth
main VFO dial.

So, if you have a seized dial shaft, or you did a fix you're not happy
with, keep an eye on Ebay.

Jay W9RM

Keith Morehouse
via MotoG