Yaesu

[Yaesu] OT: Yaesu FT-857D AF Output

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] OT: Yaesu FT-857D AF Output
From: Randy Berry <randyn3lrx@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 16:18:28 -0400
Hi guys,
This might be a little OT for contesting but I've looked everywhere
else. I have an FT-857D I'm interested in large speaker for it. It's
an 8 ohm 300 watt peak 2 way speaker. Will the flea power 2.5 watt
output of the FT-857D be able to drive this speaker?

I listen to a lot of AM on HF and I am currently listening on a 3"
home theater satellite speaker, which has no bass response. For those
of you that ave listened to the HF AMers you probably already know
they have a full range of audio. Some "Broadcast Quality Audio", I
don't hear that quality in the internal or the current external
speaker. None of them are rated for below 100 Hz.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the Yaesu can drive this speaker. I'm not
interested in filling the room with sound, I just need enough audio to
listen comfortably from a few feet away without  having to work the
radio hard. I just invested $900 in this radio, the last thing I need
to do is blow the af amp. I haven't gotten this speaker yet to try it
out. I'm just wondering if I'm going to need some sort of external
amplifier to drive it or not.

tnx es 73 de Randy, N3LRX