Yaesu

Re: [Yaesu] 1000MP audio/mike feedback - CAT pulse noise (K1TTT)

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] 1000MP audio/mike feedback - CAT pulse noise (K1TTT)
From: "Scott Dickson" <w5wz@w5wz.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:56:04 -0500
Dave et at:

My reply to your questions is prefaced by ">>>"

Additional details are below.

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:00:28 +0000
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] 1000MP audio/mike feedback - CAT pulse noise
To: <yaesu@contesting.com>

It sounds like you have something that is shorting the monitor audio back to
the mic.

If I understand all your options, you get it in lsb/usb even with the
monitor off?

>>> Yes, I do.

How about in AM?

>>> Yes, I do.

Or in pkt-lsb??

>>> No, I do not.

Does turning the mic gain or compressor down affect it?

>>> Yes, both the mic gain and the compressor affect it.  The Processor
switch must be on for the processor gain knob to affect it.

Does the monitor volume affect it (even if the switch is off)?

>>> No, it does not.

Further details:

Transmitting on 14.155, listening in another receiver via its internal
speaker.  Varying RF output from 100 to 10 watts.

Monitor off, no mic connected in USB/LSB/AM.  Go to transmit via MOX button
or footswitch to AD-1Y.  I can generate the sound by touching with my finger
the metal mike input jack on the Heil AD-1Y.

The sound also occurs with a mic connected, and closing the PTT.  Speaking
into the mic is not required.

In CW mode, either LSB or USB, closing the PTT give power out and tone, just
like going key down.  This occurred no matter if the Keyer and or Brk In
buttons were turned on.

I recorded the received over the air audio, and have put the wav file on my
website for download and listening to better understand what I'm hearing.
The explanatory remarks at the beginning were recorded via PC.  You will
know the difference - it is quite obvious.

http://w5wz.com/main/page_links.html
Look for
Troubleshooting my FT-1000MP. Here is the audio file of the problem,
recorded 10/30/2009
w5wz audio file  - 6 MB

--Scott, W5WZ