Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT-1000MP - Reliability

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP - Reliability
From: morel.grunberg@telrad.co.il (Morel Grunberg)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 14:20:39 +0300
The FT-1000MP is ( in my opinion ) the best HF rig today on the ham
market, or more precisely, the best compromise. But it's not perfect and
there are not such rigs. I had in my shack side by side all the top-of-
line rigs of the three major manufacturers ( TS-950SD, TS-950SDX,
IC-775DSP, FT-1000D and FT-1000MP ). In the past I had also TS-940,
TS-850, IC-761.......). If you ask me, I would like a rig with FT-1000MP
receiver, INRAD filters, TS-950SDX transmitter, FT-1000D output
and power supply and human engineering of ????

When talking about MP reliability, do not forget that is the most
complex
rig today ( more complex than his closest competitors, FT-1000,
TS-950SDX or IC-775 ). And this fact has a certain price. Also, don't
forget that his problems are covered in an extensive way on many
reflectors ( Yaesu - general, 1000MP, contest and other reflectors ).
The ICOM or Kenwood reflectors are less popular and active so,
someone can get a quick false impression. Just take a look at the
archives. Another important element is that FT-1000MP was sell in
larger quantities than competitors ( just ask the dealers ).

It's clear that there are still many hardware/software bugs and to
solve them all, it's a really big task. Be aware by complexity of the
process: field data colection, problems filtering and classification,
HW/SW solutions, verification, implementation for new production and
modifications on old units, documentation changes and so on. Simply,
expections for a bug-free rig with such level of HW/SW integration
complexity are not REAL. And this is true with all manufacturers and
of course, not only for amateur radio products.

I want too a problem-free rig for my hard-earned $, but this is not a
realistic approach. Mercedes, Rolls-Royce, Porsche or Ferrari have
their problems too on their new models . I even don't talk about the
'bugs' in the regular automobile industry !

Recommendations like "go for Icom or Kenwood, Yaesu is full of
problems", are simply not taking into consideration their history of
problems in the last 10-15 years. I'm not a totally Yaesu fan,
they do have many design and production problems but they are
clearly the leaders of the nineties and for my specific needs they
offer the best compromise at a quite fair price. I'm ready to go for a
better Kenwood or Icom HF rig than FT-1000MP, but where are they ?

The bugs will be present at least 1-3 years after product launch and
if you decide to buy immediately a new product, you should know you
have to pay the price of every Product or Project  Manager dilemma:
to introduce quickly to the market a partially finished and verified R&D
concept to catch the market ( with the acknowledge that you have to
pay a certain material and moral price for minor or medium problems )
or to wait until your product is totally clean and possibly loose the
market
due to time-consumming verification and fixing solutions. For us, it's a

hobby but for Yae/Ken/Ico is strictly bussiness and not always their
approach or decisions are according to our dreams or needs.

73 de Morel, 4X1AD