Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT-990 phase noise

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-990 phase noise
From: bdenton@tenet.edu (Bill Morris Denton)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 11:16:11 -0500 (CDT)
This past fiel day we used my 9 month old FT-990 on the phone station.
Every
time we keyed up it wiped out the cw station that was 300ft or so away. We
had to go to the old reliable TS-830 that was our back up radio.
When ever the 990 was keyed in the ssb mode it produced white noise (for
the lack of a better term) even without speaking into the mic.  It was so
bad that the cw guys raised cain and we had to take it off line. All this
happened with both rigs on 20 meters.
After I got home I did the same comparison. With the 990 tuned to the
uppper end of 20 meter phone section and the 830 down in the cw portion
and with no mic on the 990, I had a S9 noise signal out of the 990 on
the 830.  It sounded like open squelch on a 2 meter rig.  USB and LSB
had same noise.  To confuse the issue I heard the same out of the 830 on
the 990.  Yet the cw guys didn't hear the noise on the 830.  Of coarse
the proxmity of the two rigs at home could account for some of it.
Late Saturday after noon we moved the phone tower about a 100ft or so
further away from the cw tower.  We went back to the 990 later on but the
noise was still a problem for the cwer's, but not a complete wipe out as
it was before.
I guess my question is has anyone experienced this problem with the 990
or other rigs.  I have heard of this happening some in multi-xmtr contest
situations.  In our situation the two transmitters and antennas had 300
ft seperation from each other.
We managed 2000 Q's from those two rigs but it was a struggle.

Bill/W5SB