NA ssb Sprint + murphy

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: NA ssb Sprint + murphy
From: km0l@tyrell.net (Steve Lufcy)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 13:06:21 -0600 (CST)
Score for NA ssb Sprint
call: KM0L
sec:  Mo

band   Q's    mults
--------------------
 75    79
 40    78
 20    25
--------------------
total 182   x   40  =>  7280 score

rigs: 1) FT101ZD- SB221 -> A4 at 65', 40m rotatable dipole at 65'
      2) T4XC/R4C- MLA2500B -> 80m Inv V at 60'
comp: 386 clone w/ NA version 4.11

Fired up the trusty ol' Yaesu after restringing the 80 meter antenna and
found the rig wouldn't work on 80- freq came up to 91.102.2! So I pulled
the dusty ol' Drakes over to the operating position and used a true two
radio set up. The Drakes worked great an 80m turned out to be the best
band for me.
20 meters was awful fer a domestic contest from the midwest black hole. I
knew I was in trouble when I worked Alaska and Hawaii altho was glad to
get the mults. Never heard anything to the east and only made 25 Q's.
40 meters is usually my bread and butter, but it was long and again not
much to the east of me. Big signal was from W6TKF and N6HC, with K7SS/KH6
having one of the best sigs. What little I heard from the east was weak.
Sigs on 75 were good but this band was also long. One of my first Q's on
75 was AB6FO around 01:30. Normally the best sig on this band comes from
K9BGL but he was barely audible and I never did work him- even K9ZO was a
wash out here. But I did well into 4-land and, again to the west and
ended up with 79 Q's on 75- my best ever on this band.
Wierd condx overall, but judging from what I heard on 3830 khz, it was
the same for all. A west coast contest this time.
CU you all on CW.
73 de KM0L