N2IC/0 SOAB High Power

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N2IC/0 SOAB High Power
From: smlondon@lucent.com (LondonSM)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:49:50 -0700
N2IC/0  -  Single-op, All-Band, High Power

Band   QSO  Zone  Country

160     34   12     21     Sloper, 5 beverages
 80    139   22     47     1/4 wave vertical, 5 beverages
 40    303   29     74     3 el KLM at 120 feet
 20   1023   35    120     Stacked KT-34XA's at 115, 65 feet
 15    182   25     82               "
 10     22    7     13               "

Total 1703  130    357   --->  2,304,484 points

Obviously, this was NOT a high-band weekend for those of us in the black hole !

160: Worked everything I heard.  Just didn't hear much outside of the
Carribean.  No VK, ZL, EA8, CT3 or other sometimes-easy DX.

80: Nice JA run from 0830Z-0930Z Sunday AM. Moved DU9RG from 40 to 80 around
0930Z Sunday and was shocked at how loud he was. TM1C was the only EU worked,
and didn't hear many others.  XX9X had a good signal Sunday AM around sunrise,
but just CQ'd in my face.

40: Pretty average condx for Colorado.  I don't understand how VS6WO, XX9X and
HS1AZ could be so weak at the same time as JA's were loud.  Why don't the big
gun Russians and eastern Europeans work long path to the USA anymore, like they
used to a few years ago ?

20: After the first hour (153 QSO's), it was all downhill !  Great VK/ZL
opening 0700-0800Z Saturday AM, followed by a poor EU opening after sunrise.
 Sunday EU opening was extremely FB.

15: As you can guess from the numbers, no direct-path JA openings, and EU
opening confined to extreme southern and western Europe (missed DL amongst
other easy EU countries !).  Interesting marginal opening to Zones 25, 27 and
29 around 0300Z Saturday.

10: Made a major strategic error.  Band was open pretty well to Carribean and
SA both Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I decided to concentrate on 20 and 15
meter EU, betting that 10 meters would still be open during the afternoon.
 However, 10 was dead both afternoons !  That decision probably cost me 15
multipliers.