K5XI(KE5FI) 10 Meter Contest-phone only

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K5XI(KE5FI) 10 Meter Contest-phone only
From: ke5fi@wt.net (C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI))
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 13:29:20 -0800
I arrived at K5XI about 30 minutes before the contest to find the high
beam of the stack would not turn.  Mike Hance climbed the tower and
pushed it around to about 150 degrees where it stayed.  It is hard wired
together with the low one, so when the noise came up in the south, the
whole stack was useless. (It is a pair of 6 el at 110' over 60') On top
of that, the rain all day Sunday made the third beam (7 el at 240')
useless.

However, in spite of the problems I managed to stick with it for 1302
QSOs, 33 countries and 52 States/prov.

Not much rare DX.  Worked 4 African countries: FR5DX, 9J2FR, ZD8DEZ and
three ZSs.
I had a good news/bad news story on Europe:

good news: worked 4 Europeans who all called me between 1400-1500 Sunday

bad news: they were all in France! (and all F5s to boot!)

best hour: 141 1400 Sunday

No JAs, but had 37 VKs and 33 ZLs

This was pretty much a stateside contest.

North America  1126  83.7%
South America   135  10.0%
Europe            4    .3%
Asia              0     0%