[3830] K8MR Phone SS Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K8MR Phone SS Score
From: k8mr@barf80.nshore.org (Jim Stahl)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 97 14:04:21 EST

     K8MR 1997 Phone SS    Single Op   Hi Power    Ohio

     band      QSOs
     -------------------
     160          0
      80         80
      40        321
      20         49
      15        114
      10          2
     -------------------
     TOTAL      566     78 multipliers  =  88,296  score

     Missed NWT

     Time:  6:51 hours

     Five stations is great on CW, but one is enough for phone.
I did spend some time on the road coaching: I started at K8RM,
showing Dick how to get a frequency lined up at the start and a
few other general pointers during the first 90 minutes.  I also
spent some time Sunday morning doing some more serious
instruction at W8AJ, showing Alan the basics of NA, as well the
sort of help a very raw newcomer to contesting would need.  At
one point, when he was upstairs persuading his sons to clean up
the kitchen before mother came home, I happened upon an open
frequency on 40 and CQed for about 20 qsos.  The final multiop
effort came out to about 140 qsos.

     Some of the neater things from my own operation:

1.  Having a guy in Nebraska thank *me* for being a new
multiplier.

2.  Having two VO1's call in on 15, and having two VE9's, each
with numbers under 15, call in on 40.

3.  After having no success finding a clear frequency on 75
Sunday evening, finally getting one around 3850 at 0249Z and
running off 30 qsos in the last 10 minutes, finishing with the
past 10 qso timer at 213/hour.

     Still wondering:

Who is the genetically challenged soul who had the 5 khz wideband
noise jamming signal around 3880 Sunday evening?  The guy's
signal was pinning my meter, which very seldom happens.  He was
the absolute loudest guy I heard all weekend!  I'd like to find
out so I can go operate his station next year.   Maybe a guest op
at W4QRO?

Jim Stahl
InterNet: k8mr@barf80.nshore.org
Basic Amateur Radio Frequency, BARF-80 +1 (440) 237-8208
"Totally devoted to Amateur Radio" - 24 Hrs a day 8/N/1 28.8k-1200 baud