[3830] OF1AF CQWW CW M/S score and story

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] OF1AF CQWW CW M/S score and story
From: timo.klimoff@ktm.vn.fi (Klimoff Timo)
Date: 1 Dec 97 20:22:45 +0200
OF1AF MULTI-SINGLE

OPS:
Full Time: OH1HEV, OH1MDR, OH1NOA
Part Time: OH1LUZ, OH1MM, OH1XT
BACK UP: Mr. Mouse (nearly trapped...but still alive)

EQUIPMENT:
Rigs: FT990, FT1000MP, TS450, IC735 (3 of them), plus TS830S back up
Amps: AL82, LK550, MLA-2500, HL2K, HL1K (aka "Big Pot")
More gear than ops awake...
Ants:
160m and 80m inv V (sorry US guys...we are not loud here...)
40m 3 el yagi
20m 4/4 el yagis
15m 4/4 el yagis
10m 6 el yagi

4 PC's network with CT and DXCluster, we had a part time connection
to OH2BUA via our local techinical collage ("PORNIX" Linux programme
ala
OH1LLN).

SCORE:

160 258/13/60
80  575/25/86
40  751/32/112
20 1491/34/112
15  800/36/122
10  154/28/59

SUM 4029/168/551

= 5,949,006

LOSSES:

One PC HardDisk died (refreshed after the contest),
one PowerSupply started to create black smoke (refreshed after 2
repairs)

BANDS:

Amazing condx thru the contest except 2300-0700Z second night after
the solar
flare. No DX at all that nite (NOA and MDR operated this night, others
were too sleepy when there was no pileup to work hmm...).
Fortunately bands were back in business in the
morning.

160m

Target was 10z+60c, so it was what we expected. JA4LXY, FM5DN and
VE3BMV/1
were only true DXes. No USA heard.

80m

Propagation to Japan was BIG! Huge 599+30dB signals from JA4EKO(who IS
that guy?) and JA3ZOH. The West was very marginal, Caribbean very
weak. Only BIG US signal was W1MK (of course). Our target was 25z+80c.

40m

The first night was fantastic into the states, OH1LUZ worked 300 of
them.
In the Sunday afternoon band was open to the every corner of the
world. Again,
unfortunately our 20m and 40m beams are in the same tower. Blaah...

20m

Nice US openings plus good opening to JA in the Sunday morning. The
band was on
and off during the last hours. This was the first time in years when
we had not
to beam to Europe at all for the qsos/pileup ;-) Our ountry total very
poor, missed lotsa
stuff from Caribbean.

15m

Great openings to the Stateside but JA propagation was again a very
short one.
On Saturday JA stations were coming via the long path! (Sounds of
maximum)

10m

Well, what to say about ten...Saturday was quite poor but Sunday:
KH7R called us and KH8/N5OLS came 599+ via LONG PATH. And then total
shock:
100 East Coast stations worked by OH1NOA in about 45 minutes. OH1HEV
commented:
"It is very nice that Timo got his Xmas present one month early!".
Missed EU mults anyhow.

Congrats to OH7AAC team ! (6,5M pts)

73 Timo OH1NOA at OF1AF

PS. If you want to comment your CQWW for the  PileUP! magazine (by
Contest Club Finland), email to  oh1noa@qsl.net. Especially how
your propagation was to Scandinavia.
                Timo Klimoff

Email:          timo.klimoff@ktm.vn.fi