[3830] K2LE CQWW M/M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K2LE CQWW M/M
From: abodony@ix.netcom.com (abodony@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 12:14:36 -0800
CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  --- 1997

        Call:  K2LE                             Country: United States
        Mode:  CW                               Category: Multi Multi

        BAND            QSO     PTS         ZONES  COUNTRIES

        160              77      136            12      38
         80             397      987            21      81
         40            1410     4047            34     118
         20            1718     4975            37     128
         15            1059     3061            29     113
         10             223      612            28      86

        Totals         4884    13818           161     564  ==>  10,018,050

Operator List: K2LE, W2AX, K2SX, N1BB, K1CB, W2LK

Equipment Description:
                        BANDS           RIG             ANTENNAS
        Stn #1         160       TS-950 + ARD230      Elevated Vertical
                        10                              6 el @ 95',

            #2          80       TS-940 + Aplha 87A   1 1/2 el beam @ 105' (see
below)
                        15                              5 el. @ 115'

            #3          20      FT-1000 + Ten-Tec 425   4/4 @ 90/65' 3 el @ 75'

            #4          40      FT-1000MP + Alpha 87A   3 el @ 96', 3 el @ 75'
                        10                              8 el @ 102', 6 el @ 60'

Club Affiliation: YANKEE CLIPPER CONTEST CLUB

Comments:

        Murphy found us! On the night before Thanksgiving, a major storm passed
thru
Southern Vermont. It destroyed our one and only Beverage; took down half of the
reflector of the 80 meter beam ( hence the 1-1/2 ele. description), and one of
the 40
meter beams. With more than a foot of snow on the ground, freezing rain falling
most of
the time, late arrival of the crew made repair attempts futile. Plus, some key
operators
cancelled because of health reasons, so we were shorthanded at times. So much
for the
excuses.

        Conditions were better than expected. Some weird LP openings on ten
were a
bonus ( VS6 and YB both mornings ) was complemented by some great JA runs on 20
and 15.
With the aid of our new antennas, we were able to run Europe on 40 from about
1930Z for
over nine hours. Too bad, 20% calling in were dupes! On 20 meters, an
unexpected short
but solid SP opening in the middle of the night around 0800Z produced BV, BY,
UA0Y for
 Zone 23.

        We finally broke the 10M score barrier for the first time - a 40%
implovement
over last year's 7.1 Mil.  Nothing compared to the big guns, but must be a new
regional
record for southern Vermont...Tnx to all participants...It was a LOT of
fun..Wait till
next year!

                        73
                                        Andy K2LE