[3830] N5NU 10 Meter Contest SO/LP/Mixed

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5NU 10 Meter Contest SO/LP/Mixed
From: n5nu@inu.net (Jason Goldsberry)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:42:16 -0600
                              ARRL 10 SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 12-Dec-97, 13-Dec-97, 14-Dec-97

    Callsign Used : N5NU
         Operator : N5NU

         Category : SO/LP/Mixed

 Default Exchange : 59(9) TX

             Name : Jason Goldsberry
          Address : Rt. 1 Box 1025
   City/State/Zip : Douglass, TX, 75943
          Country : United States

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

   10CW      395         389       1560      49        22
   10SSB     282         277        554      40        18

 Totals      677         666       2114      89        40

    Final Score = 272,706 points.

Comments:
_________

Very happy about my score, considering the conditions.  Conditions better
than last year, but still disappointing.  Set my goal for 200k, and thought
I had a far shot at 276k.

Started off S & P Friday night, and worked 4 of each VK and ZL and a YJ0.
That was all I worked from the Pacific the whole weekend.  W6/W7 was very
loud, but they weren't hearing me.  Didn't plan on working anything East of
me the first night, but since the West wasn't hearing me, I turned the beam
east and worked the multipliers there.  About 0200z, a strange Auroral E
path started, and I worked about 50 stations in mostly W2, W3, W8, and VE3.
 Band died, and I closed down the first night with 123 QSO's.

Got up at 5:30 Saturday morning.  Didn't know that it was a full hour
before Sunrise even started.  Worked 12 stations in 2 hours.  About 8:00,
all propagation died here for me.  Lots of loud stations, but nobody was
hearing me.  Felt like I was CQ'ing into a paper bag.  Went out and played
basketball, and band was better after I came back in.  Lots better; I went
to phone, and worked the mults, and then ran.  Had a 70/hr running during
the 16z.  Heard 6V1C, 9J2FR, CT1BOH, and 9X0A, but there was thick East
Cost wall of callers.

Afternoon was good, and passed last year's score at 17:54z.  The W6 and W7
opened up and were loud, which gave me a new set of stations to work.
Turned the antenna to the NW, where they were louder.  Lots of everyone
calling in then, W6, W4 scatter, South America off the back, etc.  Finally
they faded out, and then I went back to
S & P.  Ran some W4 and some AZ/CO scatter E's about 0200.

Set alarm at 7 AM on Sunday morning, but fudged and went back to sleep.
Woke up in a panic at 9:30.  Knew that I needed mults, so did a thorough
sweep of the bands for mults.  IV3TAN, F5IN, and IK4MED very loud, but
fluttery.  Took a long time to get their attention.  Also had G3UFY come
back to a CQ.  Surprised to find YB1AQS CQ'ing with no takers.

Went to church, came back and just pretty much S & P the stations that I
hadn't worked.  Got really slow, so I went to 28.930 and CQ'ed in Spanish
in the LU Novice Bands.  Rate wasn't much better, because the LU Novices
didn't understand about contests.  (Had one of them give me a 51 report...)

Went to town and lost 2 hours, and band was dead by the time I got back.
Only signals heard were N5JA, NX5M, and W5XA.

Rig: Kenwood TS 850S, 80 watts
Antenna: Single Mosley CL33 @ 75ft.
Logging: TR 6.12 (Finally got networked to rig Friday night)
Age: 14.

73, Jason N5NU

n5nu@inu.net
N5NU Homepage