[3830] Contest Station Descriptions 7.0 Available

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Contest Station Descriptions 7.0 Available
From: k7zo@micron.net (k7zo@micron.net)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 15:22:46 -0700 (MST)
              Contest Station Descriptions 7.0
                      Now Available!

I am pleased to announce that Version 7.0 of my Contest Station
Descriptions files are now available. Since the release of
Version 6.0 last August, the data in the files has continued to
expand. I now have references for 727 US/Canada and 379 DX
contest stations, an increase of almost 200. Additionally, 225
other records have been updated or checked. All in all, the files
are developing into a great reference work for the inquisitive
contester. You will find band by band descriptions of antennas,
rigs and amps, e-mail addresses, contesting software used, and
first names. With 10M starting to bounce back you may want to
check and see what your competition has ready to go up in the
air.

As with the last releases, the files are available for FTP
downloading.  If you have FTP capabilities I highly recommend you
obtain your copies of the files this way. The particulars are:

* FTP Server: netnow.micron.net
* Username: k7zofile
* Password: k7zofile

(You should find yourself in the directory /users/k/k7/k7zofile.
I know this looks funny, but what I am doing is using an e-mail
address as a FTP file drop. This is something that my ISP, Micron
Internet Services, has figured out as a way to offer their
subscribers simple FTP capabilities. It worked well with past
releases. There have been a couple reported problems with people
using the FTP capabilities in Netscape Navigator, but in general
it works well. I use WS_FTP, a shareware program, to upload the
files. If you don't have FTP access or don't have a friend that
has FTP access send me an e-mail and we will see what we can do.
It is possible to send the files over e-mail.)

* File names and formats:
  CONTXL4.ZIP   Excel 4.0 Format      132KB (379KB unzipped)
  CONTXL5.ZIP   Excel 5.0 Format      137KB (375KB unzipped)
  CONTWD2.ZIP   Word 2.0A Format      120KB (565KB unzipped)
  CONTXL7.ZIP   Excel 97 Format       128KB (395KB unzipped)
  CONTWD7.ZIP   Word 97 Format        145KB (1,272KB unzipped)
  CONTWP51.ZIP  WordPerfect 5.1 Format 92KB (684KB unzipped)

  The native file format I use to collect the information is
  Excel 5.0 in Windows 3.1. The first three files above were
  created with Windows 3.1 versions of the apps. The next two
  Office 97 versions were created by reading the Excel 5.0 file
  into Office 97 apps running on a NT 4.0 Client, and then saving
  them off in their standard file formats. They should also
  work on a Windows 95 client with Office 97 as well. If not let
  me know. I have no idea why the Word 97 file is so large. I was
  surprised myself when I saved it off. The WP5.1
  version was created with a SAVE AS option in Word 2.0A on
  Windows 3.1. I have not been able to check it, as I do not have
  WordPerfect 5.1 (DOS). So, it might work. It might not.

The spreadsheet formats are much more usable than the word
processing formats. Spreadsheets let you easily move around the
records from cell to cell. Because of the way the text falls in
the tables, the word documents are now 70 pages long and are not
the most convenient way to review the information.

I hope you enjoy looking through these files. In case you are
wondering where I get this information, I get it from your
postings to 3830@contesting.com.

Finally, I have decided to take a one year sabbatical from this
effort. I recently reviewed my "Want to do" list against my "What
takes up my time" list and came to the conclusion I would rather
use the time spent maintaining these files for other things. And,
you would be surprised how many hours I spend on this. So, I am
going to take a year off. If someone else out there would like to
pick up the effort drop me an e-mail message.

I hope everyone has a great holiday season.
Scott Tuthill/K7ZO     Boise, Idaho USA       k7zo@micron.net