[3830] CQWW SSB - K4ZW 80 Meter Single Band

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB - K4ZW 80 Meter Single Band
From: K4ZW@staffnet.com (Ken Claerbout)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:02:53 -0500
K4ZW 80 Meter Single Band

569 QSO's     26 Zones   99 Countries   Score:  196,125

Why 80 meter single band?  Well this spring I started on a project to
upgrade my antenna system.  I basically ran out of time and money and
don't have anything up for 10 and 15 meters yet.  The tower is laying
in the backyard though.  I wasn't able to rotate the 40 and 20 meter
antennas so that basically left 80 meters with the 4 square.
I was pretty pleased with the results.  I missed several double mults
including AH2R who had a hard time hearing any US, RA0CG good copy
here, and 8Q7IO who was working Europeans and I couldn't get his
attention.  The 8Q7 was actually about 20 minutes before sunset on
Saturday but I made up for it a few minutes later by bagging SU2MT.
Unfortunately, I was out Sunday afternoon picking up a bunch of tower
and I didn't get back before the end of the contest.  That no doubt
cost me DXCC (100 countries) plus the chance to increase the score
well above 200K.
As I said, I'm very happy with the performance with the 4 square and
I felt pretty competitive with the guys in New England.  Next year
though it's back to Single OP, all band, high power.

                                        73
                                        Ken K4ZW