[3830] VO1MP -10 METER-TEST-CW-LP UNA

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VO1MP -10 METER-TEST-CW-LP UNA
From: gussam@newcomm.net (Gus VO1MP)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 02:36:14 -0330
VO1MP  Gus Samuelson
St. Phillips Newfoundland
                       ARRL TEN METER CONTEST  1998

      Call: VO1MP               Country: NF.Canada
      Mode: CW-ONLY         Category: SO/LP/Unassisted

      MODE  QSO    PTS  STATES  COUNTRIES

      CW        1100   4408         53        67

      Totals     1100  4408          53        67  =  528,960

 Operating Time about 18 hrs from abt 1000 Z on Sat.
 includes S& P time and detours to the Kitchen.

All reports sent were 599-NF,

Equipment Description: TS 950SD - 3 El. Tribander
with about 100 watts. Worm Burner antenna just 33 feet high !

There's no meters like 10 meters !! but Conditions
are not quite there yet hi !
My Contest within a contest for the ARRL 10
  is  try to work all states CW.
Usually a challenging project even  for an all band
 contest weekend. Missed Rhode Island and Maine although
 I called a very weak ( with me)  KI1G for a while,
 never did hear a Maine station even in exchanges as I tuned
  in S & P Mode.
 Not many DX mults heard  and worked all I found,
 Propagation was patchy from  here with the band
 closing early each night.
Next year -  better antenna - better conditions - GLWCDR
No JAs - No SE Asia yet-  Africa was almost non-existent
With minor flare just prior to test, Friday night things
sounded ominous - the  Aurora was visible from here
 so I  guess we were lucky to get what we did !!
 3 Oceana were KH6- KH8 & ZL2 nothing
else made it this far in the CW portion. ZL2DX was in here
all afternoon both days.

Continent Statistics

      All CW        Qs       %
North America    636     57.1
South America     13       1.2
Europe               448     40.3
Asia                       9      0.8
Africa                      4     0.4
Oceana                  3     0.3

Now a break from all this contest lunacy ( direct quote my xyl )
until Feb. - March .
73  Tks for QSOs  Gus VO1MP