[3830] KQ2M 99ARRLCW SOABHP NO Packet "Mostly Wires"

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KQ2M 99ARRLCW SOABHP NO Packet "Mostly Wires"
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert L. Shohet)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:56:38 -0800
                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: KQ2M                Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                  Category: SOABHP NO Packet "Mostly Wires"
                                45.4 hours operating (according to CT)

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES
      160       31       93   3.0       24
       80      255      765   3.0       56
       40      798     2391   3.0       80
       20      648     1944   3.0       86
       15      795     2385   3.0       90
       10      868     2601   3.0       89
     --------------------------------------
     Totals   3395    10179   3.0      425  =   4,326,075

Equipment Description:
FT1000MP & Titan
TS940 & AL1500

Antennas
10 5L Hygain 105CA @ 32' Fixed NE, 3L Cushcraft Fixed W @ 40', Inv V @ 40'
15 4L KQ2M Design partially rotatable @ 31' on roof tripod
20 3L Wire beam NE @ 45', 3L Wire beam W @ 45', Inv V @ 40'
40 3L Wire beam Fixed NE (elements between 40 - 50'), 4 Square
80 KQ2M design Inv L 4-Square
160 Phased Inv L's (50' & 60') 1/2 wave spacing

Beverages
NE Phased 270' long Spaced 150 - 200' apart
W         270'
S         270'
Cinnamon Hazelnut coffee

                              Comments:

WOW! Other than a problem with beverages on the 2nd radio everything worked
with NO amp/keyer failures in the middle of the EU run like Sunday in CQWWCW.

Really amazed/excited to be able to break my record from HOME! after being
discouraged by the horrendous conditions at the start.  Between bad QSB,
summerlike static and a coastal storm, I couldn't even hear a single station
on 160 for hours!  Was really tempted to quit Friday and spend time with
my wife and catching up on work but decided (fortunately) to gut it out.  I
could not believe the SPECTACULAR (for Connecticut) JA opening on 40 later
around 0800Z and conditions on 10 were simply unbelievable even with the
5L fixed NE at only 32'.  After the 175 hour on CW to EU in the 10 meter test
I had hopes of a repeat Saturday morning and sure enough, 171!  Overall,
I don't think I have ever experienced such awful and and such fabulous
conditions in a single contest only 12 hours apart!  It was really fascinating
to read the comments of those in the West who had good low-band condx
while in the NE it was awful.  I would have thought that given the Aurora and
extent of the radio storm it would have been universally poor, apparently
this was not the case at all.  Wonder what condx will be like next year?
I can't wait!  Tnx to all who worked me in the contest & 73.  Bob KQ2M

Highlights:

Propagation from 0700Z Saturday - 2359Z Sunday
Breaking my old record from HOME (so did lots of others I am sure)
171 hour Saturday on 10 (including 2 min. lost for a band change)
Feeling LOUD most of the weekend, even to JA
Sunday on 10: JA calling me LONGPATH & HS calling me SHORTPATH 20 min. apart!
5L Hygain 105 CA   AWESOME!!  (It felt like I was in the Caribbean)
Many EU stations worked on 5 bands
LOTS of monoband antennas yet to be put up on rotators

Lowlights:

Propagation 0000 - 0700Z Saturday. (Can you say "Why am I doing this?")
160 UGH!
Contest ended after only 48 hours
Low activity level in Pacific & Africa
Contesters who NEVER listen before they cq
Dummies who believe 100hz is adequate separation on cw

Club Affiliation: FRANKFORD RADIO CLUB

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               ROBERT L. SHOHET  KQ2M
               51 SCUDDER ROAD