[3830] AA4LR ARRL DX SSB SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] AA4LR ARRL DX SSB SO LP
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:19:53 -0500
ARRL International DX Contest  1999

Call: AA4LR    Country: United States
Mode: SSB      Class: SO - Low Power

Band     QSO    QSO Pts    Countries
 20        7       18           6
 15       27       78          22
 10       37      111          22
Total     71      207          50  =   10,350

Club Affiliation: South East Contest Club

Total Operating Time: less than 6 hours

Equipment Description:
TS430S running 40-80 watts (see comments)
Attic-mounted Delta Loop at 25 feet - 15m / 10m
R7000 at 8 feet 20m / 15m / 10m

Comments:

Due to persistant Telephone RFI problems with my neighbor, this was the
first phone contest I've operated in quite some time from my home
station. I decided to just dabble a bit, grabbing a bit of operating time
when I could.

Transceiver power comes from a deep-cycle battery under the operating
table. Unfortunately, this battery was just about to give up the ghost.
If I ran too much power out, the transceiver would sometimes go blank. So
I ran under 50 watts most of the time. After the contest, the battery
refused to hold a charge at all.

I had just completed some attic-mounted delta loop antennas for 15m and
10m earlier in the week. They performed quite well. My operating hours
didn't necessarily permit me to be on for the best openings. In
comparison to the R7000, the loops did very well. Signals were often 2
S-units louder on the loops. There were just a few cases where the R7000
worked better. Between 15m and 10m, I worked all continents on the loops.

Best moment was calling V31JP early Sunday morning on 15m, just as the
band was beginning to open. Joe replied with "Hi Bill, did you just turn
the beam?" "What beam?" "<laughs> Well, you just got a bit louder, so
that tells me the band is changing" I told him I was using a delta loop
in the attic.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901