[3830] 2000 RAC Canada Day Contest - VE2ZP SOABHP score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] 2000 RAC Canada Day Contest - VE2ZP SOABHP score
From: VE2ZP@sympatico.ca (Dave Goodwin VE2ZP/VE9CB)
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 09:42:53 -0400
G'day all:

First, congratulations to Todd VE5MX (at VE6JY) for being the first single
op to break a Meg in a RAC contest.

Here's my score, which should be good for second place:

         QSOs  Mul
160cw     11     7
160ph     10     6
 80cw     24     9
 80ph    123    10
 40cw     63    12
 40ph     78    12
 20cw    168    11
 20ph    320    12
 15cw     47    11
 15ph     76    12
 10cw      9     5
 10ph      5     4
  6cw      4     3 - including a scatter QSO with VE1ZJ
  6ph      7     2   but no Es to any other part of Canada
  2cw      2     2
  2ph      6     2
-------------------
On CW    328    60
on Phone 625    60
===================
 All     953   120 = 885,600 - a personal best

Ten metres was a real disappointment.  I heard nothing from the Prairies or
BC at all and skeds with big stations like VE6JY failed.  Es or scatter did
provide QSOs with all Maritime multipliers save NB on 10ssb.

The complete absence of VE8 from my (and everyone else's log) was a real
disappointment.  There was some compensation for that absence with at least
three VY0 stations from the even-more-rare Nunavut.

There were few VY1s this year, but the two I worked were quite amenable to
changing modes or bands.

Than heavens for VY2OX.  Lowell seemed to be the only ham on the Island who
knew how to use CW.  Although he was on for only a short while, he helped me
mop up a number of VY2 multipliers.

Thunderstorms and heavy rain made things very noisy for me in the last few
hours of the contest.  Between thunderstorm crashes and precipitation
static, at times I could not hear anything.  At one point, I had to shut
everything down for fear of lightning.

All in all, it was a lot of fun.  There was plenty of activity, there seemed
to be careful respect for the rules, save for one VE7 who thought it very
clever to call SSB stations in CW (the rules require SSB and CW activity to
stay exclusively in their respective conventional segments, implicitly
banning cross-mode QSOs)

Rigs:

HF: #1 TS-850 + TL-922 amp
    #2 TS-140 + SB-200 amp
6m: IC-551 + amp (70w out)
2m: FT-221 + amp (80w out)

- integrated with a neat homebrew Single-op Four-radio switchbox.  It works
well.

Antennas (all on one tower - Todd required 12 more towers to beat me!)

160m: shunt-fed 84ft tower
80m: vertical dipole
40m: vertical dipole
20-10m: KT-34xa up 85ft