[3830] IARU HF K9GY SO CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IARU HF K9GY SO CW
From: k9gy@contesting.com (k9gy@contesting.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 10:35:30 -0400 (EDT)
                     IARU HF Championship

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: SO CW  Power: LP
QTH: IL, USA
Operating Time (hrs): 13:17

  160:
   80:
   40:      70                20
   20:     223                47
   15:      65                25
   10:      12                 7
-----------------------------------
Total:     370        0       99  =  116,226

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters (SMC)

Comments:

Radio: Kenwood TS-930 & TS-440 (not SO2R, only one antenna, hi)
Ant:   Cushcraft R-7000 base @ 11 feet above ground
Log:   TRlog by N6TR

Soapbox Comments
________________

Very glad to see all the IARU HQ activity! DA0HQ had an awesome
signal on 40m. There was some QSB on 15m early on that made
things interesting. The late (03/04z) opening on 15m was nice.

Initially thought "AA" was an IARU society abbrev but determined
it was cut numbers for "11". When exchange can be alphanumeric,
cut numbers seem to be less useful...?

Was in the CQ WW mode, thinking the countries counted for
mults, but finally adjusted to zone/HQ mult scheme.
Having the HQ stations active sure helps the mult totals.

Total Opg time 13:17, I took my brother-in-law to the White Sox
vs Cubs game @ Wrigley field (lost time 6:43), and the Cubs won
9-2... Continental breakdown: USA/VE 45%, EU 45%, Asia 3%

Had an internal problem with TR overriding my zone to 4 (CQ) and
not zone 8 (ITU). Noticed it when I was getting three points for
zone 8 USA QSOs. Thought that was nice, but not accurate, hi.

Seemed like the propagation to EU was regionally specific?

Humorous event of the contest: partially falling asleep in the
middle of a QSO with K9SD then waking up to figure out I was
in a QSO still! Then, later on doing the same thing when in QSO
with W0SD...must be the SD suffix? HI! Finally went to bed at
08z so I would not be a zombie today. Probably missed a nice
Pacific opening between 08-12z?

WRTC worked: 12T, 13A, 16M, 18N, 24G, 26O, 28D, 29A, 31R, 33G,
34J, 38F, 39D, 43C, 46Q, 49L, 64Q, 72L, 73O, 74V, 78R, 82A, 84M, 87N

WRTC heard but not worked (due to condx, etc): 14U, 41F, 44Z, 71W

Congrats to the S5 WRTC committee. Great job!
GO SMC - K9ZO/K7BV @ WRTC 2000...

73, Eric K9GY