[3830] ARRL 10M: ZF2NT (Single Op, CW Only, QRP)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10M: ZF2NT (Single Op, CW Only, QRP)
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (Bruce Sawyer)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:15:57 -0800
                     ARRL 10 METER CONTEST -- 2000

      Call:      ZF2NT
      Category:  Single Operator
      Power:     QRP
      Band:      Mono 10
      Mode:      CW
      Country:   Cayman Is.

      MODE      QSO    QSO PTS  STATES  COUNTRIES

       CW     1430     5724       60       68
      SSB        0        0        0        0

      Totals  1430     5724       60       68  =   732,672

This was a real lark...I wanted to try out the Elecraft K2 QRP rig I built
last summer and see how well it could hold up in contest conditions.  It
was fantastic!  The noise floor on the rig is so low that I could hear a fly
beating it's wings in Africa.  Of course, with my 5w, a lot of the elephants
standing practically on top of me couldn't hear my signal.  Why are some of
those South American stations so loud they practically blow out my front
end,
yet they can't hear a thing?  Actually, the thee only criticism I would have
of the K2 as a contest rig is that the filters can't quite keep out those
S9+60
signals coming from HC, PY, CX, etc.  There is a certain amount of filter
blow-
by when you blast it with a howitzer from 2 yards.  Also, I think it would
get
through a little better with the same power output if the keying weren't
quite
so soft--a faster rise time on the RF envelope would give it a bit more
punch.

QRP was definitely a different experience from my norm.  Friday night, I
actually began to wonder if the rig was getting out.  Then I
learned...forget
about backscatter, meteor scatter, and other exotica when you're running 5W.
It was interesting to note once again, though, that the super ops I know
will
dig and dig to pull out the weakest signal.  The rest knew I was there, but
just
CQ'd in my face.  Oh well...the scores always tell the difference.