[3830] Stew Perry N7GP(N5IA) SO QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Stew Perry N7GP(N5IA) SO QRP
From: miltj@aepnet.com (miltj@aepnet.com)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:52:15 -0500 (EST)
                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N7GP

Class: SO QRP
Grid Square: DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 13:40

QSOs:  193  Score: 3,128

Club: Jack's Peak ARA

Comments:

Greetings from sunny, warm, calm southeastern Arizona.  I really feel for you
guys farther east.  I worked on the Beverage farm Saturday repairing cow damage
and said to myself.  "I prefer this to reapairing ice damage."  Kudos and
thanks to all the easterners who made it on the air.

Equipment for this outing:  FT-1000MP set at 4.8 Watts thru a Bird 43 to the
full sized 1/4 WL elevated Ground Plane.  Twelve Beverages, 1.5 to 3 WL long
for receiving.  486 DX 66 running NA 10.50 for logging.

5th year in the SPDC.  First time to try starting on Saturday morning.  The sun
is already 35 minutes into the sky at contest starting time.  Quite a few west
coast stations on including KH6ND.  I worked ten, including KH6ND before
absorption closed the band.

Started the evening shortly after 0100.  Band seemed good.  Had hours of 30,
25, 19, 18, 19 & 22 before the bottom dropped out.  I think everyone went to
bed.  Worked only 57 stations after 0700.  From 0800 to 1200 the hours were 5,
5, 7, & 5.  At times there were only 10 running stations on the whole band.

Thanks to the 2nd receiver in the MP I was able to find some new stations
during the last hour.  When AA0RS showed up at 1400 with his big station it was
like a pirana feeding frenzy.  I think he was the only new station on the air
that everyone west of the Mississippi could hear and needed to work.

NO DX other than three KH6s.  Did not hear EU, Carib (Herb couldn't hear me),
SA, CA,  JA or the VKs.  Still, a few more Qs and a bit higher score than last
year when I worked the FO0 and 5 JAs.  Thanks east coast guys for the long
distance counters.

73, Happy New Millenium, and CU all in the CQ WW 160 'tests.

Milt, N5IA, operator at N7GP