[3830] ARRLDX SSB P40W(W2GD) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB P40W(W2GD) SOAB HP
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (w2gd@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:08:51 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P40W

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:     90     33
   80:    336     54
   40:    644     58
   20:   2000     60
   15:   1750     60
   10:   2355     59
----------------------
Total:   7175    324  =  6,974,100

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Rig:  TS-930S, Alpha 87A
Antennas:  160/80 Inverted V @ 70', Force 12 Monobanders on 40-10 meters,
Beverages NW and North.

The week before the contest I made a decision to pack the Alpha 87A and go high
power...to maximize my enjoyment factor in this particular contest.  LP and QRP
are fun but a lot more work when NA conditions favor Europe on 15 and 10.

Conditions were pretty good overall, except for high QRN levels on 160 and 80
which made the going tough on those bands.  But unfortunatly I had local S-8
line noise problem for a large portion of the weekend....the natural outcome of
salt buildup on the utility lines without apprecable rain the last 7 or 8 weeks
on Aruba.  Having great weather most of the time has it's downside.   Listening
on the beverages helped at times but the constant "buzz" takes its toll and
imposes limits.   I now have a much greater appreciation of N6AA's
accomplishments from 9Y4VT back in the 70's where bad line noise was a constant
condition.

Congrats to Paul, K9PG for his great effort from ZF2NT.  Right operator, right
location this time around.

73, John W2GD/P40W