[3830] WAE CW KC1XX M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WAE CW KC1XX M/S HP
From: km3t@contesting.com (km3t@contesting.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:44:28 -0400 (EDT)
                     WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: KC1XX
Operator(s): K1EA,K1GQ,KC1XX,KM3T
Station: KC1XX

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 47

   80:    202    201    152
   40:    314    311    123
   20:    828    822     92
   15:    809    809     92
   10:    184    182     74
-------------------------------
Total:   2337   2325    533  =  2,482,714

Club/Team:

Comments:

Wow, lots of great scores!  It didn't occur to us during the contest that ZW5B
was Multi-Single.  Great job, Oms and crew!  We're pretty close...it's now up
to the log checkers.  Hopefully our slight lead will hold up.  :-)

Highlights:
- Working SM on 80m at 1 hour before our local sunset on a pass from 20
- Realizing on Saturday night that we were using the lower 80m quad all night
on Friday night...arrrgh!  There is a huge difference between the lower and
upper quads.  The rate went way up when Matt pointed this out to me,
fortunately right at the beginning of the Saturday night opening.
- Creating a pseudo-log-sync-if-we-crash over Ethernet with K1EA 20 minutes
before the start of the contest...we got it done but it wasn't perfect, and we
did crash a few times.  :-(  But the QSO rates got lower and lower as time went
on, so taking 5 minutes to sync everything up didn't seem so bad.
- Sending QTCs (I can almost take a mini cat-nap while CT sends them, it's
great)
- The great competition (as always) from N3RS/N3RD and K2NG
- The short but fun openings on 10m.  N2NC wondered how we did it.  I guess
8x4el Yagis vertically stacked helps, but the other part is being really
vigilant and passing loud potential mults from 20m and 15m to 10m.  On Sunday
in the middle of the day the opening switched from direct to the scatter-path
opening over Africa (EU stations point South, we point ESE).  Tnx UT7QF for
stopping by to point this out.
- And, as usual, hanging out with the guys and laughing at ourselves for
spending another weekend inside...but hey, we have fun.

I agree completely with K1TO...we need to do more to promote this contest
within the U.S. and elsewhere.  But the DARC does need to eliminate packet for
single ops.

-KM3T