[3830] NA Sprint CW K2UA HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K2UA HP
From: k2ua@arrl.net (k2ua@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 09:59:23 -0400 (EDT)
                     NA Sprint - CW

Call: K2UA
Operator:
Station:

Power: HP
QTH: NY

   80:     79   1:20
   40:    120   1:36
   20:    102   1:04
----------------------
Total:    301 Qs   45 Mults =  13,545

Club/Team: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

The Sprint has a unique power to invigorate my operating interest like no other
contest. The timing of the September event is perfect--just in time to get me
to focus on any station improvements I want to do before the main contest
season. And as a contest, nothing touches the thrill and challenge of this
contest!

Conditions were more or less as usual, which is to say that 20 meters was
awesome for the first 20 minutes, then began its own sprint for a very long
skip zone. After that, it was a waiting game--trying to find all the stations I
could (all of whom seemed to be in California) while waiting for 40 meters--the
money band--to hit its stride. Forty was the usual awesome QSO machine; it
seemed like I spent half the time on 40 that I did on 20. And 80, which I
usually rely on for the close-in mults and almost as many QSOs as 20 meters,
was very noisy this time. The West Coast was particularly weak on 80--except
for N6MJ (unbelievably loud!) and W6EEN (a close second).

Rates:
00-01: 85
01-02: 80
02-03: 66
03-04: 70

This was a one-radio effort, with two band changes; I didn't have time to
rearrange the shack before the contest. It's still set up the way N5RZ and I
used it for IARU in July. I had a choice of fixing the top 20-meter beam
(missing half its reflector since last November) or getting the shack in shape.
The antenna work is a four-man job--two in the air and two on the ground
(requires gin pole, removing mast and rotator, etc). The weather was
cooperative and the crew was available--we even had an extra climber when K2AXX
arrived--so I opted for the antenna work. Many thanks to N2MG, K2DH, KB2VGH and
K2AXX. N2MG deserves special mention here for driving out (125 miles) to help
with the antenna work, then driving back and getting on for the contest! We
worked on two bands--ironically, one of them wasn't 20 meters.