[3830] CQWW SSB K4JA M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K4JA M/S HP
From: k4ja@crosslink.net (k4ja@crosslink.net)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:36:44 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4JA
Operator(s): K4JA + K9GY, K9JY, KA9FOX, KE9I, W4JVN, WE9V
Station:

Class: M/S HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:     30     11     26
   80:    143     24     81
   40:    300     28    107
   20:    977     39    152
   15:   1284     37    159
   10:   1595     39    162
-------------------------------
Total:   4329    178    687  =  10,700,000

Club/Team: PVRC

Comments:

Wow, what a difference from last year.  We had a ton of antenna and station
improvements from last years WW SSB.  Antenna improvements (additions) include
a 4/4 on 40M, 4-square on 80M, tower 4-square on 160M, 4 beverages, fixed SE
monobanders on 10-20, and a single rotatable yagi on 10-40.  Inside
improvements are the homebrew switches to allow quick switching of all those
antennas, including driving several at once to allow CQing in multiple
directions.  To get a better station description and pictures, please visit our
website at http://www.k4ja.com

We would probably have done better if the yagis actually pointed where we
thought they did.  After noticing some funny stuff going on, WE9V and I checked
antenna directions.  Some stacks were off by as much as 90 degrees in some
directions.  No wonder why we had a rough time busting some of the piles!
Unfortunately, we found this out at 23z Sunday, one hour before the end of the
contest!

Overall, conditions were probably among the best I have ever seen.  Low bands
are sure different than back in Wisconsin.  We all can't wait for the CW test!
Thanks goes out to the operators and all of the QSOs!