[3830] CQWW CW JT1/K4ZW(@JT1CO) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW JT1/K4ZW(@JT1CO) SOAB HP
From: k4zw@staffnet.com (k4zw@staffnet.com)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:33:50 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: JT1/K4ZW
Operator(s): K4ZW
Station: JT1CO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Mongolia
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:     99     10     13
   80:    258     15     43
   40:    448     26     58
   20:    834     31     69
   15:    643     26     63
   10:    582     23     61
-------------------------------
Total:   2864    131    307  =  2,751,954

Club/Team: PVRC

Comments:

A new Mongolian and Zone 23 record!  (sorry I couldn't resist.  It just
sounds funny)
   This was an interesting contest for me personally.  Certainly a contrast
from operating at home.  It looks like the travel and busy week finally caught
up with me the first night.  It was cool to have 5NN23 for an exchange.
However, operating from JT proves again that a good DX location is not
necessarily a good contest location.  Many times pile-ups would develop and get
so frenzied that any run rate I had would go up in smoke.  Again it was
probably a lack of sleep the first night but I couldn't deal with it at one
point and decided to get up and lay on the bed for awhile.  Four hours later, I
was back at it.  From then on if it got too out of hand, I would take off on an
S&P mission and CQ again if I found a clear spot.  Knowing that I was not going
to generate any super score, I took time to look for rarer openings to certain
parts of the world.  This wasn't score enhancing but it ws sure a lot of fun to
surprise people.  Being called by W3LPL on 15 meters with his 10 over S9 signal
at 0727Z the first day, caught me off guard.  I also worked a lof of stuff that
I would not have from home.  It reminded me of this time in the last cycle when
I was living in the Philippines (KE9A/DU3).
   It's really incredible when you think about all these UA9's, UA0's and
others who probably have nothing more than 50 to 100 watts, maybe a homebrew
rig, and a wire for an antenna.  Yet each year they know when WW CW is and they
get on and have a blast with the rest of the contesting world.
  I am also reminded of how different and maybe difficult it is to seriously
operate CQWW from this part of Asia.  40% of my QSO's were with stations in my
region for 1 point.  The total score tends to suffer when you don't have a
steady stream of 3 pointers.  It was a great experience and my hosts have been
wonderful.  Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to operating SOAB from home again
next year.  Be it ever so humble, there is no place like zone 5 for CQWW.

73
Ken