[3830] ARRL160 N5TW M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL160 N5TW M/S HP
From: n5tw@igg-tx.net (n5tw@igg-tx.net)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 12:15:08 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N5TW
Operator(s): N5TW KE5C
Station: N5TW

Class: M/S HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 31

Total:     943     74        8      =  162278

Club/Team: Central Texas DX and Contesting Club (CTDXCC)

Comments:

KE5C and I had a good time out and it was our first time to try the 4-Square
out on a domestic contest.  The antenna is skewed 15 degrees to the north and I
was thinking we would get reasonable coverage using NE - On reflection and in
practice, we really had to go NW to hear west of NV and we had run frequency
difficulties with west coast stations when running to NE and especially vica
versa.   Switching back and forth helped but I'm sure caused confusion!  Will
have to think about trying another antenna for domestic stuff...  We had decent
runs to JA in the wee hours but never worked Eu at all.   The first night was a
bit rough with QRN as a front passed through.   I was really straining to hear
a W6 at one point and it seemed like the band had gone south - then BOOM - a
nearby lightning crash and then the W6 was super clear!  I shudder to think
what leaders were doing off my antenna trying to connect with the clouds!!!
Shutdown for an hour until the lightning passed through...  The second night
was much more quiet and easy on the ears.   Thanks for those who worked us!