[3830] RAC Winter VE2ZP SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE2ZP SOAB HP
From: VE2ZP@rac.ca (VE2ZP@rac.ca)
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 07:21:55 -0500 (EST)
                     RAC(VE) Winter Contest

Call: VE2ZP
Operator(s): VE2ZP
Station: VE2ZP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: QC
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

 Band     QSOs    CW    Phone
-----------------------------
  160:     70      9      8
   80:    270     10     10
   40:    310     10     10
   20:    347     12     12
   15:    286     11     11
   10:    308     11     11
    6:      9      2      2
    2:      5      2      2
-----------------------------
Total:   1565     67     66  =  1,209,768

Club:

Comments:

I had a great time in this contest.  Conditions were
excellent, save for poor propagation to the west on 160m.
There was enough short skip or backscatter on the high bands to make it easy to
scoop up the multipliers in the Martimes and Newfoundland-Labrador.  Activity
was very high, despite the cock-up in publicising the date (TCA had it wrong!),
finding people to use CW was not a big problem, there was loads of serious
overseas participation.

Six metres was a big temptation, as it was full of strong
Europeans, but I caught no Canadians outside VE2 and VE3.  Ralph VE7XF told me
he worked VE1, VY2 and VO1, but nothing closer.

I never worked a VY1, my only Nunavut was VY0RAC (VY0CW/VO1CBS op), but he was
20m only.  VE8RAC moved obligingly around the high bands, but I landed most
everything else.  Thanks to Robby VY2SS for provding almost all my PEI
multipliers.

For the Marconi Centenary Contest, I worked 168 UK stations.

This is a personal best (one mult down from my all-time best of 134), but not a
record.  Due to another obligation, I had to be off the air from 1800 to 2000.
I'm sure that made the the difference between setting the record and not doing
so.  With those two hours, I might have made 1.5Meg.  The record is:

1676 QSOs 129 Mul 1,344,180 set last year by Todd VE5MX at
VE6JY.

I don't know who my competition was.  All the most likely candidates seemed to
be in different categories, or operating part-time.

Dave VE2ZP