[3830] NAQP CW K0OU SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K0OU SOAB LP
From: km0l@tfs.net (km0l@tfs.net)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:28:02 -0500 (EST)
                     North America QSO Party - CW

Call: K0OU
Operator(s): K0OU
Station: K0OU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MO
Operating Time (hrs): 9:52
Radios: SO2R

  160:     76     29
   80:     96     41
   40:    189     46
   20:    184     48
   15:    156     50
   10:     13      5
----------------------
Total:    714    219  =  156,366

Club/Team: SMC West

Comments:

Rig 1: IC-775DSP -> C4SXL at 65'
       pentium w/NA10
Rig 2: TS-940S -> HiTower vert, 160M invL
       586 w/NA10 networked

I multi-op'ed with Murphy. All kinds of problems. Was only on the air for 10
minutes when the neighbor called complaining about me wiping out his surround
sound stereo. (In the ARRL 10 it only took him 5 minutes to call). So I ended
up taking the whole 1st hour off fighting with the neighbor, and finally gave
him some ferrite chokes to put on his speaker wires. It helped but didn't
completely cure the problem- he has more speaker wires than I had chokes! So I
just totally missed 10 meters - only 13 contacts in 10 minutes- Geez.
Appearantly no other band bothers him. So I got back on the air, on 15 meters
at 19:20.
Things went fairly well until the last hour and a half. Then the 80M antenna
(the Hitower) crapped out. I thot we had a solar flare or something - 80 M has
never been that quiet. Oops, 10 to 1 SWR on the antenna and rig only getting
about 10 watts into it. I actually made about a dozen contacts like that, but
rate dropped from around 80/hour to about 30. Ended up spending more of the
last hour on 160, where I don't do as well.
Guess that's all part of the fun :-). Shouldn't complain though - ended up with
my best single op score ever! First time to hit 700 Q's. Thanks to all for
pulling my meager signal out and saying HI. BTW- I was able to keep rates of
well over 100 on the 10 minute clock and still say TU to each and every Q :-)
73 es CU all on SSB next weekend. We are planning another "Polar Bear FD" for
the NAQP SSB with the K0GQ gang. CU all then.
73 de K0OU Steve in KC