[3830] ARRL VHF Sweep N7IR Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL VHF Sweep N7IR Single Op LP
From: hembree@asu.edu (hembree@asu.edu)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:35:49 -0500 (EST)

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------
Total:     45     18  =  1,044

Club/Team:

Comments:

Ran the QRP portable setup from home, with 2m, 135cm and 70cm Yagis on a 26'
mast in the front yard.  That got some long stares from the drivers passing by!
 Used the home station Directive Systems 5el at 45' for 6 meters.  All output
powers were less than 10 watts PEP except for a stint on 2 meters Sunday, when
I thought that running the 160watt brick would get me into DM26 and DM65: no
such luck!

Best DX was JA8JRC on 6 meters (CW).  I actually worked a JA1 on 6 but he
didn't give me a grid, only RST.  W2ODH in DM14 pulled my QRP SSB out of the
noise on 2 meters for my best DX ever on that band from home.  W2ODH also heard
me calling on 135cm CW (5 watts to a single M2 10 el Yagi at 22') but they
couldn't get enough data for a Q.  My two 135cm contacts were local (it's
convenient to live near a grid boundary).  Best DX on 70 cm was in DM42 at 136
km.

Equipment:
2 Elecraft K2 IF transceivers
6 Meters: Ten-Tec 1208 xverter and 5el DS Yagi @ 45'
2 Meters: Ten-Tec 1210 xverter, Mirage B1016 amp and 9el M2 Yagi @ 18'
135 cm: Modified TT 1210 xverter and 10el M2 Yagi @ 22'
70 cm: Microwave Modules xverter and 18el M2 Yagi @ 26'
26 foot Portple(tm) mast

I hope to have the 23cm station assembled by the June contest, when I'll be QRP
portable from 7300 feet ASL in DM44.

73
Gary, N7IR
DM43bi