[3830] CQWW SSB W7DX(@K7IR) M/2 HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W7DX(@K7IR) M/2 HP
From: kl9a@qsl.net (kl9a@qsl.net)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:00:12 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W7DX
Operator(s): KL9A, KL2A, KQ7W
Station: K7IR

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Moses Lake, WA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   36    10       13
   80:  137    19       44
   40:  260    29       70
   20:  661    38      142
   15: 1110    37      129
   10:  316    26       84
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Actual score will be a bit higher... there's about 10 mults that aren't counted
correctly.

Condx VERY bad, but you get used to it.

Had an EU opening on 15m at 1:30am the first night, and that was it for europe
on 15 that was easily workable.  Not much of anything on 10m. Contesting from W7
makes you tough.

Big time antenna work on Friday.  We put up a 160m vertical, 3 element SteppIR,
and a full size 4 element 40m wire yagi pointed at Europe.  Finished antenna
work at about 0005z.

We should have gone M/S, as we never ran on 2 radios at the same time.  It was
always 1 rig running and one s/p for everything.

Rigs: 2xTS950(S and SDX) and TS930
Antennas:
3 high stack of C31XR's, top at 140 feet.  Played very well.
2 el 40 at 140'... also played well.

Rotary 80m dipole at 140'... We felt LOUD on this band!  Every pileup easy to
break.  Exotic opening/mult guru KL2A worked some great LP with this.

KL2A design 160m vertical.  Another outstanding antenna!  Just a bit noisy on
RX... sorry about that guys.  But we sure were loud eh? :)

KL9A design 40m 4 el wire yagi to EU... was GREAT the first night, but 40 was
down the 2nd.  A great antenna for those hard to work EU/AF mults.

3 Element SteppIR (2nd rig antenna for high bands).  Didn't seem too great the
first day, but sometimes out performed the stack to EU on 15 the second day!

Several little problems, and 1 or 2 not so little.  We still had fun, and big
thanks to Mike for letting us use his station!

-Chris KL9A (and Jon KL2A and Matt KQ7W)