[3830] CQWW SSB W1CTN SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W1CTN SOAB LP
From: darruzza@snet.net (darruzza@snet.net)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:48:28 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): W1CTN
Station: W1CTN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 29.5

  160:   29     5       12
   80:   88    13       43
   40:  104    17       57
   20:  176    26       79
   15:  298    26       91
   10:  470    27       96
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Equipment Description: FT-1000 MP 100 WATTS
160M INVERTED L x 30 RADIALS - 80M DIPOLE @ 40 FT -
40M DIPOLE @ 40 FT W/ REFLECTOR - 40M GROUND PLANE -
20-10M CL33 @ 45 FT - 20/15 M HOMEBREW 2L BEAM @ 30 FT FIXED SOUTH
10 M 2L BEAM @ 25 FT FIXED SOUTH

Club Affiliation: YANKEE CONTEST CLIPPER CLUB

My first contest with the YCCC. I hope my score helped with the "Drive for
Five."

As we all know the bands were hopping, but I need something better on 40 M.

I am limited to a height of 40' so high arrays are out.
I did use a reflector behind the 40m dipole and at least I thought it helped.
Planning on a 1/2 square, so if any one has some practical experience with one
please drop me an email. Any other workable designs will be considered. My
ground plane was full size  w/elevated radials but it did not help much. I had
it 12 feet above ground. Curious to know what others are using on 40.

The fixed arrays really helped picking up stations in the caribbean and south
america when the classic 33 was on europe or asia. Real simple and cheap. All
built from scrap antennas bought at hamfests for pennies on the dollar. I might
change them for a fixed 2 element delta loop on 20-15 and 10, just to tidy up
the tower.

I worked everthing I heard on 160 meters so I guess the inverted L works. On 80
meters the dipole played pretty good or at least the DX  had very good ears. I
feel it is very important to get the low band multipliers to achieve a descent
low power score. Any ideas - that work - for additional 80m antennas, drop me an
email.

Hope murphy did not visit many of you, he stopped by ( before the contest !!) to
lock up my main computer but i had a backup junker that works all the time.

I hope everyone had a fun time and hope to see all of you in the upcoming
contest season.

73 Dave W1CTN ---GO YCCC Drive for Five

My first contest "with the big boys". I promised them 1 million points and at
least held up my end of the deal !!!
90 % of my operation was S & P. I held a couple of run frequencies on 1