[3830] SS CW K7BG Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS CW K7BG Single Op LP
From: k7bg@arrl.net (k7bg@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:23:37 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 23:58
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   51
   40:  312
   20:  371
   15:  294
   10:  176
------------

Club: Northern Rockies DX Assoc.

Comments:

It seems like every year is exactly different. Last year I had over 500 10m Q's.
This year I just couldn't seem to get it going on 10. I said before the contest
that I had the eeby jeebies about potential disrupted condx and they were
justified on the part of working northern stations from here in the north.

I heard VO1MP when the freq I was running on all of a sudden got real noisy from
the ensuing pile just below me, but he left before I could snag him. I heard
Jay, but he was never strong and I never got him. The hardest two sections
besides these two were mine and VE6. I worked VE6JY's condx disrupted watery
sigs in the noise on 20m in the last hour and thank goodness for Bob, W7LR, 200
miles to the south who called me on 15m Sunday morning. I was his third Q. Never
did hear Fred, KS7T, but glad he was on. First time in a while I've missed the
sweep, but that's what makes it interesting. Eighty meters was a bust with a
lower Q total than normal.

When I started contesting fairly seriously my goal was always to better my
previous attempt in any given test. That is still one of my main motivaters. I
had the exact same number of raw duped Q's as last year, but with the two mults
missed didn't fair as well.

I felt better prepared station wise this time than any time in the past. While I
didn't have any major difficulties, I did find myself a little unfamiliar with
the recently acquired 765 and found the 930 to be the run rig more than
originally planned. I was very pleased with the 765 and agree it's a great rig
and I have a lot better feel for it after this weekend. I did the PBT and
sidetone tracking mods on it within the last few weeks since acquiring the rig
and they add a lot to it's versatility. I was able to run and S&P at the same
time on the same band with very little interference from the run radio. In the
past I haven't been able to do this. Both the 765 and the 930 were great in this
regard.

I worked 4 ND and 3 WY which were great showings from those tough sections from
here.

Antennas:

80: 4 sloper switchable array (aka K8UR)
40: 402CD @ 95'/ inverted vee @ 20'
20: 205BAS @ 83'/C3XL @ 45'/ TH3@25'
15: C3XL @ 45'/ TH3@25'/1015DB @ 88'
10: 105CA @ 65'/C3XL @ 45'/ TH3@25'/1015DB @ 88'