[3830] WPX CW ON5ZO SO(TS)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, franki@on5zo.be
Subject: [3830] WPX CW ON5ZO SO(TS)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 01:19:52 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: ON5ZO
Operator(s): ON5ZO
Station: ON5ZO

Class: SO(TS)AB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 34

------------
  160:    0
   80:  174
   40:  375
   20:  432
   15:  201
   10:   42
------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

I had been looking forward to this contest, because the last one I did (RDXC)
was over two months ago. I like the 36/48 rule, because I could use some sleep
after a very busy week and recovering from the flu and a severe cold. I skipped
the first night because I was too tired and at 0700 local (0500utc) on Sunday
morning I had to catch some sleep too because I just couldn't go on anymore. I
slept for four hours and got back into the shack.

Conditions were average to poor, which is especially counterproductive for those
with poor antennas like myself (low wires). I had hoped for a good opening to NA
on 40m to work many "six pointers", but it didn't come; only the big guns got
through. On 20m and 15m, most DX signals were very weak too, so there was mostly
EU - again not much "three pointers".

All in all, it was good fun, and the fact that prefixes are counted once and not
on each band makes that you can stay a little longer on 20m and 40m. This is
definately a contest where SO2R can boost the score, also with modest
antennas.

Biggest annoyances:
1) People jumping on 'your' QRG without asking or listening to see if it's
free.
2) People taking one or two minutes to tune their amp on 'my' QRG wiping every
signal away...

Setup:
N1MMLogger (couldn't do without)
TS-850SAT
Homerew dipole for 80/20/15/10 at 10m above the ground
Short loaded vertical dipole (ON4BAI design) for 40m

Thanks to all who made it into the log for the fun weekend.
73 es cu agn (IARU HF contest?)

Franki ON5ZO
www.on5zo.be