[3830] IARU W6UE(W4EF) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4ef@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W6UE(W4EF) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:20:38 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W6UE
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W6UE

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:   13      2      9
   80:   59     12     19
   40:  387     32     36
   20:  354    618     64
   15:   68     34     29
   10:   11      2      6
---------------------------
Total:  892    700    163  Total Score = 821,357

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Decided to give this one a serious try at the last minute despite feeling
absolutely aweful before the contest. Almost quit at the 12 hour mark thinking
that there was no way in hell I could make it the full 24 hours and extract any
enjoyment from it, but I wanted to get to the 1000 QSO mark before throwing in
the towel. Mysteriously, I started to feel better after the 12 hours mark, so I
just kept going and was actually in pretty good shape when I reached the 24 hour
mark. I was too tired to drive home safely, however, so I had to nap on the
linoleum with nothing but a pillow for a few hours (it got real chilly with no
blanket). My nutritional planning was equally lacking. When I left the house on
Saturday morning (3:00 AM), I grabbed a 12 pack of diet coke and a bag of Lay's
salt and vinegar potato chips. I got the quantity okay (I finished the bag just
before the contest ended), but I could have done better on the quality and
variety of my nourishment. In fact, I just got done telling my wife a few days
ago never to buy those kind of chips again because they tasted so bad (they
don't taste that bad when you are really hungry) :):)

Score wise, it looks like I need to be reclassified as SOLM (single-op low
multiplier). I never heard much on 15 meters, but from the looks of other
scores, I should have spent more time there looking for mults. I saw some 3830
reports of a longpath opening to Europe on 15 (N9RV) and a very late JA opening
on 15 meters (K7RL). Don't know whether we didn't get the openings here in
Southern California, or whether I just missed them (most likely the latter). I
also made the mistake of pulling up last years results during a short break on
Saturday afternoon and then using them as a benchmark. I thought I was doing
pretty good by last year's standards, but I failed to read the part of the
article where it described how bad conditions were last year, so I failed to set
proper expectations for my multipliers :)

The station worked fine for the most part. I still need to fix a problem with
interstation QRM between 40 and 20 meters. It's probably a bad splice in the 40
meter coax, but I didn't have time to troubleshoot it. I also need to get a
better scheme together for working 160 meters. Everytime I wanted to QSY, I had
to move a piece of coax from receive antenna port for the TS-950 over to the
main antenna switch (uggh). A voice keyer tied in with TRlog would be nice too.

Thanks for all the QSOs!