[3830] IARU K7ZSD SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7zsd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K7ZSD SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:14:06 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: NW Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:           16     9
   40:          121    25
   20:         1343    71
   15:          122    31
   10:           14     7
---------------------------
Total:   0     1616   143  Total Score = 735,592

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Conditions several days prior to this contest were good to Europe over the pole,
and for the most part that held this weekend. The atmospheric noise though was
tough in the late afternoon. We had blue skies here, but lightning on the ear
drums beaming east. The opening morning conditions were great on twenty, abit of
an opening to Europe on 15m for a few hours, really nothing on 10m. I went for
the deck chair in the sun in the late afternoon every hour and a half, the rates
went to pot here. Twenty got better and better as the sun went down, with
propagation to everywhere. It stayed open until the end of the contest with
Japan and Oceana pounding in.

My favorite band, 40m, sounded like a morgue, with only a few stations (SSB
Stateside) to be heard. While Mitch, K7RL (congratulations, great score) ran a
few hundred JA's on 15m at 1am local time, I was sitting way back in the chair
calling CQ on the voice keyer, working 30 stations an hour on 40m. Why didn't
someone tell me 15m can be open in the middle of the night!

It was a good contest here, learned alot, as usual, and look forward to this
fall season. The operators, everywhere, were great. Thank you for all the q's.

Best regards,
Brad