[3830] IARU VE7FO M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU VE7FO M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:44:11 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO  VA7IRL
Station: VE7FO

Class: M/S LP
QTH: B.C.
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:   16      4      8
   40:   75      5     18
   20:  297    199     64
   15:   25     11     14
   10:    0      4      4
---------------------------
Total:  413    223    108  Total Score = 231,120

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Our first attempt at a full bore M/S effort.  Previous M/S efforts at VE7FO were
training sessions for contest newbies.

We followed the WRTC rules a la N0AX.  That was interesting.  Only 2 antennas
allowed, 1 tri-bander and 1 wire.  The tri-bander was an ancient TH3 and the
wire was an inverted L for 160 at 30 ft which loads just fine on 80 and 40.

Run radio was a MkV and spotting radio was a 706 MkIIG.  We were actually able
to spot on the same band where we were running.  It was kinda neat to sit there
feeding spots to the run op and watch him periodically run through the bandmap
hoovering up Qs.

VA7IRL handled the SSB duties and I did the CW.  We would spell each other off
from time to time following no particular schedule.  At 0830Z I figured it was
time to give 7IRL a turn so tuned up the band to 20 phone to see if there was
anything there.  Well, there's 9M6A, very weak but clear as a bell with
beautiful audio.  I figured that, with her signal so weak, we didn't have much
of a chance but turned it over to 7IRL and suggested he try to get her, although
it would be difficult.  He called, she came back immediately, he logged her,
turned to me and said, "So what's so hard about that?"  Broke me right up.

Did better into Eu than usual.  They were there for hours and hours.  94 Eu  91
JA.

73 and thanks all for the Qs.