[3830] IARU OK1RI SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ok1ri@jimaz.cz
Subject: [3830] IARU OK1RI SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:13:05 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: OK1RI
Operator(s): OK1RI
Station: OK1RI

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Brezina
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:           34    18
   80:           59    26
   40:          182    45
   20:         1013    79
   15:          773    72
   10:          227    40
---------------------------
Total:   0     2288   280  Total Score = 2,108,960

Club:

Comments:

Rig : TT Orion + PPA

Antennas : 160m - 47m vert + 70 radials
            80m - 1 el.Delta loop @ 25m
            40m - 4Y Yagi @ 26m FIX to USA (!!!) second rotary 4Y@52m was not
operational - what a surprise during the contest.
            20m - 2x6Y @26/13m; 6Y@13m; 5Y@52m
            15m - 3x6Y @32/23/14m;2x6Y @25/13m; 6Y@13m
            10m - 4x6Y @31/25/19/13m

         Soapbox : I came to the station with expecting I have only to tune
(i.e. shorten) the 80m deltaloop from CW to SSB, I arrived after midnight local
time Friday and just measured the impedance of the delta - it looked weird, so I
thought OK it fell down, we will see. In the morning I found out that someone
"nice" cut the coaxial cable - around 100m of it, so I had to put the cable
through the conduct over the road etc... easy to say but I finished with it just
around 1130 GMT. So I started. The propagation was better than expected. I have
missed the opening to the USA on 10m... In the evening I have found that there
is "nothing" when I switch the switching system on 40m to our high "monster"
Yagi. It was already dark so I could do nothing, I was not in a mood to climb
the tower and do something about it. So I operated with the FIX Yagi to the USA.
I could not hear the UA0, JA,YB etc... it was very discouraging, when you are
used to be one of the big-guns on 40m. Due to this I am sure I lost at least 10
"easy" mults on 40m. Also the Pileup from the USA was not what I am used it is.
I was so angry - and also tired due to the above described "stolen coaxial
cable" affair, I just said in 0410 GMT OK - enough and went to bed. After 40
minutes I said to myselves: you do not have so few do not be "soft" go on. So I
continued. As a matter of fact I was so "out of order" due to this that I have
not worked zone 8 on 80m !!

         I was S+P-ing quite a lot since the HQ stations will not call you.... I
am starting to be HEARTY enemy of SO2R. It is very inpolite to the others. You
hear someone calling CQ he stops, you call him and nothing OK he calls CQ again
you call him and voila he says "Oh you are very loud here you are...." It makes
me crazy. And exactly this did not happen to me once but many times ! Another
thing caused by SO2R is huge amount of QRM - everybody is calling CQ all the
time - nobody answers but he continues to call since he is tuning somewhere and
is happy he is not "disturbed" by someone calling. Under normall circumstances
i.e. SO1R he will give up CQ and start to S+P so there would be one less
occupied frequency !
INTRODUCE 10 minutes RULE to single OP cathegory !!!!! The bands are not wide
enough for SO2R !!! As a matter of fact I doubt it really adds significantly to
the score anyway - as I read other comments I am not alone with this thought. If
you do not have decent pile-up go and tune !!!!

Some statistics:
zones:28 452
      27 350
      08 349
      29 248
      07 135
      06 100
      37  67
      18  62
      30  61
      45  47
CTY:   K 589
      DL 172
       G 146 (!! tons of new licenses)
      UA 130
     UA9  87
      UR  85
      PA  57 (!)
      EA  55
      SP  49

QSOs 1 pt  610

Thanks for the contact to all I worked, see you in the next contest.

73 !
Jiri
OK1RI
Jiri