[3830] IARU NK7U M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU NK7U M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:43:29 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): KL9A, N6MJ
Station: NK7U

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Baker City, OR
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:     8            6
   80:    72    24     22
   40:   319     0     47
   20:   720   193     76
   15:   360   211     58
   10:     0    12      5
---------------------------
Total:  1479   440    214  Total Score = 1,600,934

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Pretty fun contest, even from the west coast!

The highlight was probably that crazy middle of the night opening to JA on 15m.
We kept wondering what was going on when all we could muster was 1 JA for the
mult, and the HQ station at "normal" time.  Then 15m stayed open all night to
UA9, then to Europe for a bit, and THEN back to JA!  Crazy, but we'll take it!
15m was also great to Europe during the day, which was a huge surprise as
well.

Dan and I both agree that this contest needs a M/2 category, or get rid of the
STUPID 10 minute rule.  I can only imagine how much better a single op could
have done.  It was never worth it to lose 100/hr to Europe for 2 mults on
another band for 10 minutes.  We are pretty happy with our mult total anyway.

Our goal going in was to get the zone 6 M/S record from W7RM in 1999.  It looked
like we were going to fall short, or come pretty close to it.  Until 15m popped!
 This score is quite a bit higher than the 1.295M record.  Hopefully we'll keep
it after log checking.

Many of the EU HQ stations were HUGE on 40m, and the 4/4 stack into Europe
really played well.  I have never worked Europe on 40m in this contest from KL7,
so it was nice to get some EU mults for a chance.  Many of them were also loud
on the other bands, but DA0HQ did not have the usual bone crushing signal on all
bands.  SK9A... I mean SK9HQ was probably the loudest on 20 meters. :)

Thanks to Joe and Sharon for letting a couple young lidz operate, and for the
great food!  Their hospitality is first rate.  Also to Scott, K7ZO, for helping
with any technical problems before the contest and for building some CW
keylines.

Check out Joe's station at www.nk7u.com

-Chris KL9A and Dan N6MJ