[3830] NAQP RTTY K9JS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9js@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY K9JS Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:24:58 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: K9JS
Operator(s): K9JS
Station: K9JS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

   80:    5     5
   40:   69    30
   20:  101    33
   15:   70    28
   10:   18    11
-------------------
Total:  263   107  Total Score = 28,141

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: 4 Dogs and Kuwait

Comments:

Operated from family cabin in Northern WI, in the last year we have upgraded to
FT1000MKv, Alpha99 (not used), 4 ele steppir @72', 2 ele 40m @82' so I made a 6
hour road trip specifically to operate this contest to see how the station
played with low power

I have only operated RTTY with AFSK interfaces in the past, I continued that way
- realize now that I need to build an FSK interface to fully take advantage of
the FT1000 and the filtering available - I did transmit using LSB but would
switch to RTTY mode on receive, a bit cumbersome and on a few occasions I didn't
switch back to lsb so all I was transmitting was a carrier, sometimes I am such
a lid...

I took a break for some dinner and ended up losing 2 prime hours to some back
spasms which forced me to lay down, by then I missed a lot of 40m activity, had
issues with 80m wire and could only make 5 contacts there due to high swr, at
least I got a couple points on that band

Overall I am very pleased with the results and look forward to trying to contest
up there more in the future

thanks for the Q's, thanks to the guys who joined up on our team

Jon
K9JS