[3830] CQWW CW CT9M(KL2A) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, KL2A@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CT9M(KL2A) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 10:46:51 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CT9M
Operator(s): KL2A
Station: CQ9K

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Madeira Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:   59     8       40
   80:  348    13       59
   40: 1058    25       84
   20:  851    33       96
   15: 1114    31       93
   10: 1094    26       84
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

THE CT9M EXPERIENCE CQWW CW 2004 by KL2A (long)

First of all? Thanks Team Madeira!

I?m continually aw-inspired by the competitive, organized team spirit at CQ9K!
These boys are ALWAYS seeking improvement!  It?s contagious and reminds me of
when I first started at KL7Y.  Keep it fresh.

Also, they are quickly becoming the ones to watch.  Just add up the past few
years of CQ9K and CT9M; their cumulative score is rising up the charts!

There were several events during my week in Madeira, here are some highlights:

*PRE-CONTEST PARTY BY DJ6QT

On Madeira, there are two main teams that enjoy the contests this time of year.
DJ6QT's CT9L crew who have been active in M2 category, and CQ9K?s Team
Madeira.

This year Walter DJ6QT, shared his 40th wedding anniversary with the guys that
had a fully catered restaurant staff wait on all the guys and their wives. His
bride and mother-in-law were at the head of the table enjoying the fray as we
talked radio and the contest to come.. 59 33.

Here?s a list of who was at the table:

CT3EE CT3FU CT3DL CT3BD CT3KU CT3YA CT3DZ CT3RY CT3IA KL2A
DJ6QT DL5XX DL1YD PA0R I2VXJ W8LU

We ate, drank, and were merry.  I made a point of talking with each ham at this
party and was entertained by chatter about strategy in contest food, drink, and
philosophies that kept us going until it was past my bedtime.

*THE STATION

The Station at CT9M this year was similar.  Still at 3500? with a water shot in
most directions. 7 towers holding up mono-band yagis and stacks.

These guys build a M/M station in October and leave it up for CW and allowed me
to come and compete.  Reminds me of PJ1B a little.  To be able to utilize it for
SOAB, it?s a dream come true for sure.

RIGS Two FT1000MP?s (Radio 1 and Radio 2 *receive only)

Tower 1 ? 200? commercial tower
This holds a couple pulleys; 160m elevated vertical, and a high inv vee for
80m.

Tower 2-7 are various 30-70? and each hold a mono band yagi, most with 2 for
stack and spray capability.

Had WX0B stack matches, 6-pack, and SO2R Box.  Couldn?t get the SO2R box to work
this year so still SO1R with a receiver.  Next year?

*THE CONTEST

Many of you know my history, NL7GP to KL2A and lots of guest and portable
operations in warmer climes.  I have more than 1 reason to be attracted to the
tropics.  After growing up in Zone 1 literally under the auroral cap I became
attracted to Zone 33.  I trained with my home team at KL7Y's contest station,
and even during the bottom of the cycle where we?d be lucky to log 3 Qso?s on
10m, we'd hear CT3 and EA8 stations coming through 2-3am local.  Seriously, when
it was marginal to work a due south KH6 or W6 skew path, at times you could find
a Zone 33 barely audible but there coming through!!

This amazed me, and I knew by the sound of their runs it was the place to be,
(on occasion we could even break these guys and get a bewildered response).

Now, I finally got to be one of ?those guys? and it?s truly the way I thought it
would be!

As for this year, the contest went well, I felt like a much better operator
after having a years experience under my belt. I was certainly poised to stomp
last years score.  The fatigue factor wasn?t there this time around, where last
year I was a zombie after 32 hours but managed to bob and weave my way through
it.

This year, almost entire week of sleep previous to the event, much less food
consumption, lots of juice, and good hard-core focus.

See, I have KL9A to answer to when it?s all over.  He gets you all pumped up 6
months before a contest, and before you know it, you have a ticket to fly to the
tropics? (this is a regular occurrence with him around)

We all know, the conditions were not as good as the week before where we all had
high hopes, however, coming from W7 I wasn?t complaining, I was ready!

My favorite opening was the 2:30am / 0230z BIG Pacific and Asia opening.
Hearing JT, YB, 9M2/8, BV, BA, JA, of course Central / South America etc? that
was impressive!

Also, I experienced one of the bigger pile ups of my lifetime.

An avalanche of Tier 1 Packet boys from the entire Asian, Europe, and American
Continents on Sunday morning? Literally a who?s who of big hardware side by side
and on top of each other duking it out side by side for first Q honors? high
adrenaline situation.  Of course, all recorded.

See, the way conditions worked out for me this time, I ended up on 20m with a
very low Q total on Sunday morning and as you can imagine, Sunday conditions and
fresh DX make for a pile!

*COMPARING 2003 to 2004 CONDX

Ladies and Gentlemen, the cycle is dropping fast!  Last year on 10m I worked
northern W7 without much trouble, this year I was lucky to hear them on 15 or
20!  Last year I started the contest on 20 and worked nearly 800 guys before
going to 40.  This year I couldn?t work Europe on 20 at the beginning, it was
dead!

Conditions were, at best, peculiar.  For me in retrospect to last year, I
noticed I was not nearly as loud, even though, a more refined and learned
operator of the station, conditions, and strategy.

Looking at my 48 hour graph report, F9 on CT, I see clearly a phenom that I?ve
never encountered.  Nearly the entire contest the hours were similar to: 200/hr
then 80/hr, 200/hr then 60/hr, over and over and nothing I could do would seem
to change it.  I was sure it was conditions!

Also, I count approx. 50 band countries in my notes that I spent time calling
(not too much) and not working.  Last year everyone I called worked me, except
for some JT1 instances and some skew or backscatter stuff - Long Path which
you?d expect from Low Power.

Even stranger observations were not hearing or just missing many of the bigger
DX stations that were very active, where you may hear someone finishing with a
station that was needed.  Just not bumping into guys that amass 1000s of Qs
seems odd, but it?s a big world in that box we call an FT 1000 MP during CQWW,
even from CT3.

There are many observations that may interest many of you.  For example the boys
in the Puget Sound area on 15 were let?s say S1-7 at a certain time, and a lone
W7JEN was S9.  Obviously surrounded by Salt Water. (near the original W7RM
QTH)

160 was open to the USA much better than last year with many 6 banders from
NA.
(same antenna)

My 1st and only NA on 160 the 1st night was VY2NT, man were you loud!  He was
there much before any other NA stations.  KC1XX was 1st in the log the 2nd
night.  Here?s my 20 minute visit to 160 from Day 2:

    28-Nov-04  0118   2665   1839  KC1XX
    28-Nov-04  0122   2666   1821  ER5FB
    28-Nov-04  0125   2667   1824  HA8BE
    28-Nov-04  0126   2668   1824  IK4AGP
    28-Nov-04  0126   2669   1824  W3LPL
    28-Nov-04  0127   2670   1824  RW2F

    28-Nov-04  0127   2671   1824  W4MYA
    28-Nov-04  0128   2672   1824  W8AV
    28-Nov-04  0129   2673   1825  N2RM
    28-Nov-04  0131   2674   1825  N2ED
    28-Nov-04  0133   2675   1825  WE3C
    28-Nov-04  0134   2676   1825  K4JAF
    28-Nov-04  0136   2677   1825  VE1ZZ
    28-Nov-04  0136   2678   1825  IR2C
    28-Nov-04  0137   2679   1825  G3WPH
    28-Nov-04  0138   2680   1825  G4UJS

Sleep deprivation did get me once this year, however not in the form of fatigue.
 Sunday morning about 8am during prime runs the FT1000mp became Round and began
to float!  I lifted my arm to try and stop it and push it down, gently of
course, and it wasn?t there.  I decided at that time to take a break even though
that?s a peak rate time.

40m was certainly the band to fall back on when rate dropped at any time
on any given band, and I used 40 a lot for that.  However, there were more than
a few times I thought ?I really need to be on 40m? and didn?t because I wasn?t
doing a SB40, this was SOAB.  Looking back even before it was over I knew those
were the times to jump back to 40 and raise the rate, even for short periods of
time.

*There is so much more information to discuss and look into, but I?m in KH6 and
it?s time to head to the beach.
More information will be posted on my website, or email me and I?d be happy to
chat a bit more about this years contest.

This is certainly the best part of the world for radio, or very close to it, in
my opinion.  There is just nothing like tuning 160 and hearing 60 countries on
the air at the same time and the locals being 60db over from EA8, CT3, CN, CT,
EA, D4, 5U5, 6W, etc?

I had a wonderful time.  The CQ9K boys are gracious hosts and very interested in
making my contest and experience memorable.  Each and every member took a little
piece of time from their lives to visit and make sure I was doing great!

Also, thanks for many friends who ?hung out? on my frequencies to say KB, BF,
and other encouraging words: K9PG, K7SS, KL9A, & those WWYC boys.  Also to EA8ZS
who acted as a beacon throughout the contest.  I always knew what bands to be on
by keeping you in my sights!

I certainly will return to that region again and again looking for the perfect
conditions we all chase.

Until next year? 73 and Obrigado de KL2A/KH6

More information on this operation, stats, audio clips, pictures, WWW.KL2A.COM
Email me if you have any info to add or discuss.  Thanks.

ATTENTION CQ9K & CT9L Team Members:
Please email me images from 2003 or 2004 operations, I?d like to post them on my
website.  Thanks.