[3830] ARRLDX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, randydvm@iw.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 04:35:40 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Minnesota
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

  160:
   80:
   40:    3     3
   20:   80    51
   15:  131    62
   10:   32    16
-------------------
Total:  246   132  Total Score = 97,416

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I could only operate on Saturday, and even then, not full-time due to
unavoidable obligations and prior commitments.  (Rats!)  Conditions seemed to be
very good on the high bands - 10 even opened up here in the Black Hole, but
ddn't hear Europe or JA's on that band.  15 was the "go-to" band for me.  40 was
tough and I didn't even try 80 the first night (and missed the second night).

Sure would liked to have spent more time on the air, but that's the way it goes.
 Just got a new FT 897 to work 40 - my old faithful Argonaut 509 won't work
split and until now I didn't have a second receiver!

Everything for me S&P - had I been on Sunday and conditions stayed good, usually
I can get a few short runs.  It's amazing what you can find (and work) before
the DX is apparently spotted on packet cluster.  I don't use cluster, not only
because it would violate the Single Op rule, but I am convinced it is completely
counterproductive for QRP contesting.  It usually doesn't do me much good to
"beat my head against the wall" by jumping into a huge, established pile-up,
unless the DX is very strong here and he is an outstanding operator.

By doing it the old fashioned way (actually tuning across the band), I came
across some really choice multipliers before the packet hordes descended.
Another (probably not new) observation: when I come across a large pile-up on a
station that doesn't ID for a couple minutes (or more!), apparently the guys
that work him are trusting the packet cluster for his call, because nobody seems
to ask.  By the way, the question of the ages: how many so-called unassisted
single ops are really using packet????

Another observation (although since few will read this I'm really just whining
to myself): it seems that there is a continuing decline in operating ethics with
respect to "standing by" for the station that the DX asks for.  E.g. "the
station with November Delta in the call" and several US stations call right on
top, none of which have either letter in their call.  And what is really
frustrating is when the DX comes back to them first!  But to be fair, in a
couple instances when I had to call a station back to correct them when they
copied my info incorrectly, some stations stood by rather than jumping all over
me.  Thanks gentlemen!

- See everybody in the next one - hopefully full time!  Thanks to all the great
ops for the good ears, patience and persistence in pulling me out of the QRM and
noise!

73,
Randy, ND0C (formerly WA0VBW)

Station: Argonaut 509 - 3 watts output (and Yaesu FT 897 on 40 - 5 watts
output), Wilson SY-3 3 element tri-bander at 50 feet (15 meters) and an inverted
vee.