[3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:18:41 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: pei
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:  138    57
   80:  432    77
   40:  422    85
   20: 2117   121
   15:  797   101
   10:   14     7
-------------------
Total: 3920   448  Total Score = 5,268,480

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Condx were certainly highly variable in this contest - to say the least!  10M
for me just wasn't even a factor - although I note that VY2TT seems to have
caught some openings I obviously missed.  I was probably doing other things at
the time of course and neglected to check 10m at the right times.

One bit of good news from the island is that mother nature treated us kindly in
VY2 this past Winter.  The maximum snow depth I had to walk in this season was
about a foot in places.  This was quite a remarkable difference from last
year...when it was well over my head in lots of places.

I suppose my biggest thrill this past weekend actually occurred **outside** the
contest.  I came up for a snack and looked out the rear window to find a man and
his child and a dog way way out on the pack ice behind my home.  I wasn't gonna
go chase them 200 yards offshore in my shorts - but I sure hope they got back to
shore safely!

I also heard that a neighbor came by on his skidoo (snowmobile) and hugging the
shoreline rode his machine about 20 miles out to North Lake on the salt water
ice floes!  You would not catch me doing that - no way no how!

Overall this was a very hard contest to operate.  At times things were so
frustrating that I couldn't believe I had 14 more hours of operating time left
to go on say SUNDAY at 10Z.....  I suppose others probably felt the same way.

Like others, 15M was a wipeout on Sunday although it really *tried* to open
around 1200z.  I was copying DF9ZP, OE4A and several other stations and they
would "swoosh" in and out in seconds - here one second and then completely gone
the next.  And so it went.

After about an hour of checking 15 I just assumed it wasn't gonna do much and
headed back to 20M which at least had some good signals on it.

Thanks to all those who called and salvaged an otherwise horrible weekend
propagation wise.

Still it had its moments!

CU in the next one..

73 JEFF