[3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, croseman@usc.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:04:10 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  326   161  Total Score = 69,552

Club:

Comments:

I set up in a parking lot near Lake Michigan in EN62 in southwest Michigan.  In
spite of the cool weather, the site was too busy with visitors, but
entertaining them did not affect my score significantly. Unfortunately, I had
to tear down for the night and set up again Sunday morning.  Had I been able to
be there late night and early morning, my score would have been significantly
higher.

No complaints, however, because I bested by previous high QRP score in June by
about 4 K points. Saturday was one of the best 6 meter days I have experienced
and in the end I almost got VUCC during the contest with my ten watts and a
five element Yagi about eight feet in the air, just above my car.  I am not
sure if the low elevation of the antenna was a factor, but I did make quite a
few very short skip QSOs on 6, such as EM58, EN21, EN37, and EN93.  I kept
checking 2 meters for Es, but heard none (all indications are that the Es on 2
went over my head).

Conditions on the higher bands, which I worked mostly on Sunday, were nothing
special, although I managed to work K8GP on both 2 and 222, and heard them
quite a bit both afternoons on those bands.

Thanks to everybody for digging out my weak signals.  As usual I resorted to
begging by tacking "QRP" onto many of my calls, especially on 6; and quite
often I called SSB stations on cw.  Good operators seem to respond to these
tactics [detect an attempt at flattery here??].

73, Curt Roseman, k9aks