[3830] CQWW SSB EA5ON SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB EA5ON SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:15:56 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: EA5ON
Operator(s): EA5ON
Station: EA5ON

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  816   116       32
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  816   116       32  Total Score = 204,388

Club:

Comments:

CQWW nevers fails to deliver!

A last contest at my La Eliana QTH before it goes to long-term let. Cobbled
together my trusty old bits and bobs, namely TS850, Ameritron ALS500, and my
old laptop, and plugged into the TA53M at 40'. Not the world's best contest
station, especially with the amp running off car batteries and only giving
200-250w, but managed to make a fair attempt. I didn't take my valve amp
because I didn't want to put my back out, but after lugging all those car
batteries around, I'm not sure that was a good idea! Glad I fitted the Inrad
filter and voice keyer in the TS850, would have been much less comfortable
otherwise.

Band condx on Saturday excellent, left with the majority of QSOs and mults
already under my belt. Sunday the band opened later, closed earlier, and was
more selective. Mangaged to work a VU3 only to hear him right down on the next
pass 5 minutes later. Missed working VK4UC for a double mult under similar
circumstances. Also missed the best midday slot for running EU due to an
unavoidable visit, then pratically no stateside in the afternoon. The usual
surprises were there though: VE6 in zone 3 at 10 in the morning local time, ZL
on the long path when the band was just about closed, calls from Asia with the
beam on South America, and all those other anecdotes that make CQWW so
enjoyable.

Been three years since I was last able to make a decent attempt at CQWW and I
had a great time. Thanks to Esteban EA5FY for popping round to say hello, and
special thanks to my family for their understanding and support, without which
I would not have had such a great time. To help you understand what this means,
my wife and children were building kitchen cabinets and suchlike while I was on
the radio. Whenever guilt got the better of me and I went to ask if they needed
a hand, the reply from all three was unanimous: "GET BACK ON THE RADIO!" Or
maybe they just don't appreciate my joinery skills?!

To paraphrase K1AR, "Are we still having fun?"

YOU BET!

73 de Duncan EA5ON