[3830] SS CW N5ECT(@WD5R) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wd5r@hughes.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N5ECT(@WD5R) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 05:29:47 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N5ECT
Operator(s): N5ECT
Station: WD5R

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs): <20

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  355
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

For several years Marlene and I have concentrated on 160 meter contesting
using legal limit and good antennas. .
At  age 74 I am beginning to be concerned about fact that this combination
results in too many responses from stations that I canâ??t pull out of the
mud.

I decided to look at my problem from other side of the fence by running QRP on
40 during this SS.

I chose 40 because we have a 40 meter 4Square, with 300ft transmission line.

A couple real advantages for running QRP.
First I did not have the stress of trying to hold a call frequency.
Thatâ??s out of the question so donâ??t even think about it.

Not having to hold the call freq gives me the opportunity to take a break any
darn time I want!
That relieved Marlene of having to spoon feed me.

Soooo, a casual operation until late in the contest when I suddenly realized
that I only needed
couple states to make WAS qrp on 40 in less than 20 hours.!

Hey, itâ??s no big deal for a guy to work WAS with QRP .
The big deal is on the other end , those guys that are willing
 and able to pull the qrp out of the mud.

This qrp experience did leave a big question in my mind.

When I started setting up for 5w output I was using the meter on my Mark 5 .
Obviously there is a lot of room for error using that meter.
So, I went to my usual in line watt meter, the Ameritron AWM-30.

Again, lot of room for calling anything from 1w to 10w as qrp
 without knowing for sure what the power out is.

I donâ??t normally use my Bird watt meter because it doesnâ??t have the remote
sensor .
However, in this  case I did get it out and insert the zero to 50w slug.

Without that Bird I would have had a wide window for calling my output 5W.

How many qrpâ??ers have anything close to 50 percent accuracy in measuring 5w
out?

Doug, n5ect
(second in command at WD5R )
wd5r@hughes.net